Author Topic: Matthew Cronouge/Cronin  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Cloonfinlough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew Cronouge/Cronin
« on: Thursday 04 August 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Please could some one help me find which part of Ireland  my Gr Gr Grandfather came from.  I have few details as follows: Matthew Cronouge/Cronin born circa 1863, the son of John Cronouge/Cronin and Margaret Foster/Forster  Matthew's father's occupation is given as a Labourer.  Matthew married Agnes Polland in the District of Larkhall in the County of Lanark Scotland on the 2nd October 1884 and the census I have just states that he was born Ireland, I have been told Co Down but I'm not so sure.  I would appreciate any information on this family.

Offline MacCailein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cronouge/Cronin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 05 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think you need to confirm the surname (Cronin/Cronogue) in Scotland so as to progress the search in Ireland. This should be possible via http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/.

Civil registration in Ireland only started for births in 1864. A marriage record in Ireland for Matthew's parents could be a way forward. However, only non-Catholic marriage records are available in civil registation between 1845 and 1864. Civil registration was a requirement for all religious denominations from 1864 onwards although initially not all complied. Certificates if available can be sourced from the GRO at www.groni.gov.uk. If you could isolate a marriage record it would isolate the ancestral area.

Offline Cloonfinlough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cronouge/Cronin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello MacCailein,

Thank you so much for trying to help me by giving me the advise on what to do and where to try, I appreciate your help.  The details on Matthew's marriage record give his surname as Cronouge, but on the 1891 census it is given as Cronin, but I will contact the records office in Scotland as you suggested, once again thank's.