Author Topic: Isabella Pape (nee Whitfield)  (Read 2004 times)

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Isabella Pape (nee Whitfield)
« on: Thursday 04 August 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Isabella Whitfield was born Seaton/Workington, Cumberland 1847.  In 1869 she married Roger Pape in Cockermouth, Roger died 1870.

1871 Isabella (a widow) is visiting her sister Mary Ann McCoid and family in Workington.

Using Ancestry I have searched the 1881 Index for an Isabella Pape to no avail, there is an Isabella Whitfield (if she reverted to her maiden name) a servant in Hexham but she was born Stapleton.

Of course Isabella may have remarried, but again using the Index on Ancestry I have looked at all the Isabella's with a birth circa 1847 Cumberland and found nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Pauline Thomas

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Pape (nee Whitfield)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:39 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for Isabella Pape in 1880 on FreeBMD.   Worth a look?
Andrea

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Sillgen
Thanks again !  I have seen this marriage and cross referred to the 1881 it is not her I'm afraid but I will double check.
Regards, Pauline

Offline Jo3

• RootsChat Member
  • Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Beeby,

Roger Pape, Bach., and Isabella Whitfield, Spin. were married at St John's Church, Workington on 28th February, 1869 (Jac 475).  Cockermouth is the registration district for Workington.  I can look up details next week if you want them.  Just in case it is any connection there was also a marriage at St John's between Richard Pape, Wr. and Betsy Strickland, Wid., 29th August, 1896 (Jac 926).

Jo3

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo3

Thanks for your message. Only this morning received the marriage cert. for Roger and Isabella 28 February 1869, I don't think if you look the marriage up it would give me any more information than I have on the cert. but I am very grateful for the offer.  Out of interest where did you find this information ?  Also thanks for details of the other Pape marriage, I think this might have been Roger's father but if I would like further details of this one can I get back to you ?
St John's Workington seems to be where all my Whitfield ancestors married, if you ever come across a Betsy Whitfield marrying there I would be so grateful.
Kind regards, Pauline Thomas

Offline Jo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 05 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Beeby,

I have indexed all C of E Churches for Whitehaven, Hensingham, Moresby, St Bees up to at least 1925, and St John's, Workington up to about 1895 so I can look up details for any of these when I visit W'haven RO.  Just let me know.

Jo 3

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 August 05 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo 3
Thanks for your message.  In all the marriages you have indexed I would be grateful if you ever spotted an Isabella Pape (or on becoming a widow she reverted to her maiden name of Whitfield) or a Betsy (Betty) Whitfield marrying.  These two are my real brickwalls.  Betsy is on the 1861 and Isabella as a widow on the 1871 but after these two census I can find nothing on them so perhaps they did marry.
Thanks for all your help. 
Regards, Pauline

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 January 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jo 3
A while back we spoke about my brickwalls Isabella Pape (nee Whitfield) a widow age 24 on the 1871, to date I cannot find a marriage or death for her after 1871.
I also mentioned a Betsy Whitfield but I have now found a marriage for her to a James Sweeney (Swiney on the 1871) where she has two sons and her illeg. son living with them but after 1871 she is also missing.  1881 I can account for 3 sons and husband but no Betsy.
I can only imagine Isabella and Betsy remarried or died between 1871 and 1881 but despite exhaustive searching cannot find anything on them.
I remember you saying you had indexed all the CE churches up to 1895 and I wonder if either of these two show up in your records.
I would be so grateful for any help.
Pauline Thomas (nee Whitfield)

Offline Jo3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beeby,

Sorry, I can't find the marriages you want, but I only indexed St John's at Workington - it was mainly the Whitehaven C of E's which I did.

Jo 3