Author Topic: Durham. Catherine Turnbull=William Richardson c. 1850  (Read 4769 times)

Offline colinwh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Durham. Catherine Turnbull=William Richardson c. 1850
« on: Friday 30 July 04 10:02 BST (UK) »
Catherine was born in New Shildon, Durham abt.1828, she is stated to be the Innkeeper at New Locomotive Inn, Stockton in 1881 and William was shown as an Engine Driver on one of his son's birth certs.
They were known to have 5 sons and one daughter. I am looking for more information on William and Catherine, unable to determine their marriage, first child born 1864,  and any leads on their ancestors.
Catherine's mother was born 1806 Hamsterley, Durham

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
Re: Durham. Catherine Turnbull=William Richardson c. 1850
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 04 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Bit of a long shot but do you have an Isabella Richardson by any chance? Don't know dob but married a John Lawson in, I think, Gateshead before 1857.
Cheers
Barry
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 04 15:56 BST (UK) »
I am also looking into this family.  I believe that Catherine and William's second son was my Great-Grandfather.  His name was Frederick Smiles Edward Henry Richardson and he was a jeweller.  William was down as an engine driver on his birth certificate.  I have only today found the New Station Inn link as the address I have for them when frederick was born is Norton Road, Stockton with no hint of a pub although I believe that there was one on that road.  The elder brother,  Thomas William Turnbull Richardson was an architect and married to a Cornish woman.  My mother remembers both of these sons and their wives but the other children have come as a surprise today.  If you can get any further back I would love to know and if you would like to know a few more things on the descendants of Fred and Tom I may be able to help.
Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)

Offline janmoore

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 04 23:35 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for marriages try The George Bell collection. I was looking at GENUKI Durham last night and went into the marriages registered at Tynemouth to see if any of my rellies were there - and found my g.g.grandparents! Obviously not availbale for all parishes but worth searching for.

For those who don't know GENUKI - go to genuki.org.uk and follow links to county then parish of choice. Scroll down for church records and see what turns up!

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Durham: Small, Jackson, Mackings, Hedley, Bell
Leicestershire: Moore, Burrows, Upton, Flamson
London: Lock, Seton, Goldacre, Ervin
Yorkshire: Normandale, Machin/Mackin/Mackings

Offline patagonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 04 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello colin,

I think I may have found Catherine's parents:

Elizabeth Henderson  married Thomas Turnbull at Hamsterley on 1 December 1827.  We know that Catherine's mother was Elizabeth and that she was born at Hamsterley so this looks a reasonable proposition.

Pat
Westwood
Mascall
Richardson
Airth
Nolan(d)
Embleton
Aspley
Scaife
Turnbull
Cook
Rudd
Most of the families are Durham/N Yorks based with Nolan and Westwood originating in Staffs.  Aitchison (Midlothian) MacKinnon(Fife)