Author Topic: Copyright information please?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright information please?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Just J,

I can see that you have been online and posted on other threads, including starting a new thread.  May I please ask you if the information posted in the replies on this thread has been useful to you.

I ask because sometimes some people have been known to confuse plagiarism with copyright infringements.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Just J,

I can see that you have been online and posted on other threads, including starting a new thread.  May I please ask you if the information posted in the replies on this thread has been useful to you.

I ask because sometimes some people have been known to confuse plagiarism with copyright infringements.

JM

Good Morning JM,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my enquiry. My interest was to find out if  by what I would be doing, I would not later find that I had infringed copyright regulations. Firstly take into account the photograph scenario, the first one I found, smaller in size than the second, has copyright markings all over it also there was not much clarity with the picture. My thinking / mulling over with myself was, I'd like to have that picture framed if the copyright wording was not on it, but then my thoughts were perhaps not ... i.e the markings. Sometime later I came across of a better picture altogether, focusing much better, larger, clearer and no copyright markings. This picture by the way was a mid 1860's riverside view.   The picture has a family name interest only, any connection with my name and the picture content has yet to be discovered.
  If i had gone straight in and tried to remove the copyright markings, for only my personnel use. I then found another person be wanting a copy.What if, I had supplied. I did not I actually just gave him the details of the second site finding' s. Wondered ever since would / are / we be copyright infringing? ..... hence my enquiry?
 I've only been on Roots. for just under a month now, results from the interest of my query will certainly help somebody / me, I find it beneficial. Information freely given like this will probably make them think and look more into what they want to do before any infringement has been made. Surely the subject of copyright has been as a subject before, the knowledge people have on Roots willing to share, and on everything else is just amazing.   Thanks everyone.

Regards to all,  JUST J
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »

JM

Not just that JM but there is also the problem with licences and other forms of control.
Ian999 mentioned-

I have found that so often, those of a bureaucratic mindset use claims of copyright to stop you from doing anything. Fight them.

I was in Fife Scotland a few years ago in a municipal museum looking at some Pictish stones from around 700AD. A petty functionary approached me and told me that I could not take photographs of them because they were covered by copyright.

In this instance the regulations he was possibly infringing was very likely to be the terms of access and use of cameras in the museum rather than copyright restrictions, but the staff member used the term copyright rather than condition of entry in their reproach.
Many websites have terms of use attached to their access and rely on the moral compass of the user to comply rather than litigation.

I would suggest the best course of action wherever possible is to ask if it is okay to take a copy or a photo before you do it.
Many websites have a contacts address to contact somewhere on the site.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
As I am not UK based my  practical experiences with UK copyright is ziltch.  BUT art gallerys and museum curators etc in NSW Australia can and have mentioned copyright issues over their curated displays particularly when the installations focus on arranging a contemporary display of artefacts from tens of thousands of years.  I know this from my professional life which has no connection to my involvement in family history studies.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.