Author Topic: Westbourne Square  (Read 3883 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westbourne Square
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 January 18 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Having now looked at the 1861 census I may have to eat my words about fashionability. There are some very large and apparently well-to-do households in Westbourne Square, some with 5, 6 or 7 servants - so it does look as though they must have been large and imposing residences.

You may be interested to know that 22 Westbourne Square was occupied in 1861 by John J Wynne, a 57 yr old Irish-born barrister, with his wife Marcia, four children and an Irish-born female servant.
I am 90 years old and now live in Australia but my memories of the area are quite vivid.
My family lived in Delamere Crescent which was below and parallel to Delamere Terrace which was opposite the canal from Blomfield Terrace.... I used to cross the canal bridge to go to Amberley Street school.
Between Delamere Terrace and Delamere Crescent was a Catholic school which I could see into from my home I could see class rooms and on my 'wag' days I could see children and teachers... I add this for historical purposes.In the same area was a nunnery............ it was quite narrow but seemed to accommodate quite a number of nuns.
most of this was destroyed by bombing I forget the date but Delamere Crescent was so damaged it was condemned and no doubt most,if not all,of the rest of the area was too.
As I said previously the area originally somewhat grand but at my time,in a two roomer,it was very moth eaten and ugly.
I will find the night of the bombing and add to the discussion
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline crunchyFrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 January 18 06:30 GMT (UK) »
You were there when Grandad was abandoned, you’re the same age. The bombing has sure made things difficult, the closest thing I found was a photo of the square on VE Day and it was an awkward angle. From our research what we thought the area was originally wealthy and grand, but by 1927 the are was poorer and those buildings became multi-occupancy. Is that how you remember?

We’re looking into the Mercer link :)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 January 18 07:42 GMT (UK) »
You are right those buildings were multi occupied.
Commonwealth Graves Commission used to include civilian deaths but no longer seem to do this ... it seems to cover military deaths only unfortunately.
The steps at the entrance of the nunnery seemed to be a favoured place for leaving babies.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline crunchyFrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 January 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Apparently, Grandad was found near St Stephens Church when he was 3. It was a rough time, It just seems really strange to keep him till 3 and then abandon him. He had a sign around his neck, but no one now seems to know what it said.