Author Topic: Marriage at Roscommon  (Read 13763 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Roscommon
« Reply #54 on: Friday 21 September 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
There are confirmed Workhouse register entries for children Mary Ann and Basil (1840-41) then Basil senior in 1843 (two admissions) ....Where??  For Illness?

Is it possible they had Cholera or similar and were "hospitalized" instead of possibly spreading it to others at home??

Basil senior's 1843 admissions were for illness (unspecified)
Basil jr and Mary Ann were brought into the Ratcliffe & Mile End workhouse by police as destitute in 1840 and discharged to Limehouse Establishment on 15 June 1840.  On the 1841 Census they were in the workhouse.

Marshalsea debtor's prison is incorrect as it had already closed, but I can't rule out debt!  Quoting my post but amending it is confusing.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 21 September 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
St. Coman's
Ballypheasan
Henry Street
Roscommon , Roscommon
Ireland

Here Lyeth the Body
of the Honourable Mrs Elizth Sandys
Daughter to Roger Jones Viscount
Ranalagh who was married to
Colonel Robert Sandys third Son
of Sr Edwin Sandys of Northburn
in K_____ Famous for his Travels into
the East & eldest Son to Edwin
Sandys Lord Bishop of York. She had
three Sons Nine Daughter and
?_________________________

http://historicgraves.com/st-coman-s/ro-stco-0226/grave

I found a 19th century transcription which reads:
Here lieth the Body of The Honourable Mrs Elizth Sandys Daughter to Roger Jones, Viscount Ranelagh, who was married to Colonel Robert Sandys third son of Sr Edwin Sandys of Northborn in Kent, Famous for his Travels into the East, and eldest son to Edwin Sandy Lord Bishop of York.  She had three sons and nine daughters, and survived them all.  She departed this life the 14th of April 1701 in the 76th year of her age and was interred By her son Robert's widow Mrs Mary Sandys alias Reynolds, who out of true affection to her Erected this Monument .  Also the body of Edwin Sandys Reynolds of Darham Esqr and Jane his wife.  Ye Monument Re Erected by Nehemiah Sandys of Sandfield, eldest surving son to [remainder buried]

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 21 September 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
There are confirmed Workhouse register entries for children Mary Ann and Basil (1840-41) then Basil senior in 1843 (two admissions) ....Where??  For Illness?

Is it possible they had Cholera or similar and were "hospitalized" instead of possibly spreading it to others at home??

Basil senior's 1843 admissions were for illness (unspecified)
Basil jr and Mary Ann were brought into the Ratcliffe & Mile End workhouse by police as destitute in 1840 and discharged to Limehouse Establishment on 15 June 1840.  On the 1841 Census they were in the workhouse.

Marshalsea debtor's prison is incorrect as it had already closed, but I can't rule out debt!  Quoting my post but amending it is confusing.

Philip

Sorry, am just trying to keep track with what is fact!!

Who is Elizabeth Aldwell Sandys (The first proved sighting of Eliza/Elizabeth Aldwell Sandys is her marriage)   ?   Who did dhe marry?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 21 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
This doesn't come up when searching the newspapers so doesn't have references but if you email the Library via address posted on other snippets and explain this then there is a good chance they will look it up for you!

Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette Roscommon, Republic of Ireland

15 Jun 1839

On evening last, Mr. Basil Sandys, who has resided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some short..

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Who is Elizabeth Aldwell Sandys (The first proved sighting of Eliza/Elizabeth Aldwell Sandys is her marriage)   ?   Who did dhe marry?

From marriage registration:
Loughbrickland Presbyterian Church, Aghaderg, Co Down (RD - Banbridge) 21 Sep 1860
William Bell CORDNER, 20, merchant, of Tandragee Co Armagh, father William CORDNER farmer
Eliza Aldwell SANDYS, 19, of Durhamlet (?) Co Roscommon, father Bazil SANDYS excise officer

(Newspaper announcements name Basil's father as Edward son of Squire Sandys, but this must be an error for Edwin)

Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 21 September 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
This doesn't come up when searching the newspapers so doesn't have references but if you email the Library via address posted on other snippets and explain this then there is a good chance they will look it up for you!

That is an intriguing snippet.  I feel that I want to offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a witty and original ending.   ;D ;D ;D

I'll do some digging on it.

It definitely places him in Roscommon in the months up to June 1839, which is useful.

Philip

(http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800821 - new post hoping for an answer)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:42 BST (UK) »

That is an intriguing snippet.  I feel that I want to offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a witty and original ending.   ;D ;D ;D

I'll do some digging on it.

It definitely places him in Roscommon
in the months up to June 1839, which is useful.

Philip

(http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800821 - new post hoping for an answer)

It is in the Longford Leader and says " Mr. Basil Sandys, who has re- sided in this town for some months back....."

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry...  Longford Journal

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Also in Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette