Author Topic: Marriage at Roscommon  (Read 13791 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Roscommon
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 13 February 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, Jules123, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.  It's always fun to find a new cousin.

Your SANDYS ancestors include Edwin SANDYS, Archbishop of York (d1588), co-author of the "Bishops' Bible" of 1568 and Sir Edwin SANDYS MP (1561-1629), treasurer of the Virginia Company - a key figure in the settlement of America and an irritant to King James.

My Basil SANDYS was the son of my 4xgreat-grandfather Edwin George SANDYS (b1764) who was the brother of your John Percy SANDYS.  Their parents were Nehemiah SANDYS and Elizabeth RYVES.

I don't want to spoil your fun in researching this extraordinary line, but I have much information so do contact me if I can help.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jules123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 13 February 22 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow wow wow. I knew none of this. I was about to go to bed and am now like a child in a candy shop with all this. Please please feel free to spoil my researching fun at any time with info :-). I'm on Ancestry Jules2021 and wonder if we have shared DNA.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 14 February 22 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow wow wow. I knew none of this. I was about to go to bed and am now like a child in a candy shop with all this. Please please feel free to spoil my researching fun at any time with info :-). I'm on Ancestry Jules2021 and wonder if we have shared DNA.

Now communicating by pm and e-mail.

Yay, a hitherto unknown cousin - ain't life grand!  :D :D :D

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jules123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 14 February 22 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Not much in Roscommon/Leitrim newspapers for Sandys

Newspaper Subject:    SAINTJOHN JOHN WOOD ISLAND BALLINAMORE COUNTY LEITRIM
Newspaper:    Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette
Newspaper Content:    Signed notice to tenants of Mrs. Elizabeth Sandys Saint Johns lands at Cloonara and Killbride Rent due to be paid.
Date:    22 March 1823

In order to source this newspaper article, please supply all of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie

Hi, Elizabeth Sandys is my 3rd GG. She is the daughter of John Percy Sandys and Grandaughter of Nehemiah Sandys. She married John St John in Castlerea, Roscommon 09.01.1823. They Lived in Woodisland, Leitrim.