Author Topic: MacRae  (Read 3581 times)

Offline pipers wench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MacRae
« on: Friday 05 August 05 00:13 BST (UK) »
My gggrandmother was Margaret MacRae married to Donald McCallum.  They were married in Scotland and were residing in Canada in 1841. They named their second son Duncan.  Using the naming patterns as a guide, I have searched for a Duncan with a daughter named Margaret (all variations of the name).  I found one in Camus Luinie, County of Ross, with "Peggie" as the daughter of Duncan presented for christening on November 6, 1823.  No mother's name is given.  The age is correct for my gggrandmother.   The first daughter of Margaret and Donald McCallum was named Catherine, so I'm thinking this probably was her mother's name.  There are a number of children brought to christening by Duncan MacRae with no mother listed. (Possibly all died in childbirth?or was this a custom when there was no formal marriage?) A Duncan MacRae married a Flora MacRae in 1828, and she was designated his relict in a testament which puts his death date at October 6, 1865 in Camus Luinie.  They had one child, Francis Humber, born in Glensheil on November 15, 1828.  No other children of this union are listed.  She indicates in the documents that he had written a last will and testament on October 2, 1865 but that she had been informed that it was not valid.  I would be curious to know whether that Will possibly named Margaret (Peggie) and since she had married and moved to Canada the widow didn't want to give up the bairn's share.  Children born to Margaret MacRae and Donald McCallum in Mosa Twp., Middlesex County, Ontario were Catherine 1/05/1841, Jeanette 12/14/1842, Neil 9/10/1843, Duncan 7/02/1847, Archibald 1849, Phillip 1850, and Mary Ann 11/10/1851.  I would love to solve this one.  Thanks for your help.
McLean-Invernesshire, Hebrides
McCallum-Argyll
MacRae-Argyll and Ross
McClure-Skye

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MacRae
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi pipers wench,

I am searching for McRae's too and though I don't recognise yours I wondered if you had tried asking the forum on the Clan Macrae site at www.clan-macrae.org.uk for help.
You are right to use the naming pattern only as a guide as they didn't always stick to it, I went way off track at one point by assuming a name would be correct when it wasn't.
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ann belanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret MacRae
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Don't know that I am much help but I have Margaret Macrae as well. She was born Margaret Fraser abt 1775 and married Peter Macrae in Logie and Wester Urquhart in 1793 near Inverness Scotland. They had children including a Duncan born 1798 in Logie and Wester. He married Mary Bruce and had a daughter Margaret born 1832 in the Wick area of Caithness.

Duncan's younger sister married a John Oatway in England and came to Canada about 1842 and went to Brockville first and then Perth.

I don't know if there is a connection, but thought the names were similar enough that I would add it to your hopper and see what ame of it.

ANN