Author Topic: Marion Callander - Please help me find her!  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Callander - Please help me find her!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
The only way would be to order both birth certificates from https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk each Certificate costs £12

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
There is another way, if you can get to a Scotland's People Centre or get someone to go on your behalf or look them up for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much, I had no idea you could go to one of the centres and look up people.  I had been relying on the Scotland people record search on their website but didn't want to order just now. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes. In the centres you can look at all certificates up to about a year ago, but you can't print or save them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Given how recent the records that you want to check are, it would be so much better to visit on of the main genealogy centres and look at the certs there to try and figure out Marion's life and family.

You can also do a personal search for births after late 1920s (I always forget the year, Forfarian!) to include mother's maiden name.

There is at least one possible sister, Doris, born in 1934 in St Clements, Dundee. She died in Dundee in 1996 at the age of 64. Mother's maiden name given as Burns. 

The surname of Duggan also features in Doris' death indexed entries. In fact there are four surnames indexed for her:

Callander
Duggan
Stewart
Smith

They all have the same ref of 351/ 542.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage for Doris in Lochee in 1953. She shows as Burns/Callander marrying Duggan. Same surname as the possible marriage for Marion in 1986...

You certainly will need to sit in front of a screen and work though all the angles. We have their motheer with surname Burns. Callander could be the name of their father (can't see a marriage for this though but they may have lived together...just speculation until you check really).

Monica 

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you forfarian - do you know if you are able to view the actual birth and death certificates after 1900 online at the centre rather than ordering them there?

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica I didn't know about Doris.  Will also explore this.  I wondered about their mother too as there doesn't seem to be a marriage record for her or a first name.  I've been through a death register for those named burns in Dundee over the years so have some names to check there.  Will defo need to visit the search centre - with a big notepad for everything I've found and what you amazing guys here at roots have given me! I'm forever grateful to you all ☺

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian is off line now. If I could answer your question.

You can look at BMDs right up to about about a year ago at these centres. You make notes of what you need and just work your way through them. 

Have a look here at this recent post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786079.0

Monica