Author Topic: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel  (Read 8235 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 February 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »
"The only clue that can make us think that Charles Henry emigrated from France (or Jersey) to England is his profession (French teacher). He could also be the child of a person (or a couple) that emigrated to England.
He married january 1789 in England which means that he was already in England BEFORE the French Revolution . French emigration did not begin before the 14th july 1789.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89migration_fran%C3%A7aise_(1789-1815)

"L’Émigration désigne le départ d'environ 140 000 personnes hors du territoire français entre 1789 et 1800, en raison des troubles révolutionnaires et ceci dès le lendemain du 14 juillet et la prise de la Bastille. Ces émigrés, tenants de la monarchie et du pouvoir absolu, craignent l'effondrement de celui-ci. Si nombre d'entre eux sont nobles, prêtres ou religieux (44 %), il y a aussi des militaires (4 %), des bourgeois (17 %), des paysans (20%), des ouvriers, artisans et commerçants (15 %)."

Mary Bernard Corfe : Bernard was the name of her mother ,Corfe was the name of her father (probably a name from Brittany (Bretagne )(Corfe , Le Corff).) Bernard could be a middle name  for her.

The couple Belin/ Corfe may have been :
a couple who emigrated to England before 1789
a couple who met in England , one or both of them coming from France
a couple who met in England whose parents  or ancestors emigrated to England

I asked if they were Huguenots , do you know? The child from the couple Belin/Watts married in a catholic church , but where did Charles and Sara Watts marry ( catholic or protestant church in Jersey)?
If Charles was a Huguenot he may have come( back) to France because the religious status was better for the protestants in 1828 (no more religious persecutions)."
NB : pasted from a preceding message page 2

I found several BELIN and BERNARD in the Livre des témoignages de Threadneedle St.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:04 GMT (UK) »
https://gw.geneanet.org/amandataylor1?n=de+belin&oc=&p=charles+joseph

I guess you already know this

Thank you Joger, but I do have this. In actual fact these are my own notes which I gave to the author of the site (Amanda Taylor).

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
In the Tables decennales of Valognes I found the birth 19 january 1826 of a girl called Rosalie Sidonie BELIN but I can't find the "acte de naissance". Can't  understand why , because all the pages of the register are there. Must think about this.

Joger - I don't think this is related. From my research Charles (de) BELIN and his wife Mary did not move to France until 1828. Records indicate he was still teaching at Winchester College in 1827. He auctioned all his house hold goods in June 1828.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:13 GMT (UK) »
death MB Corfe
Daughter of the late Joseph Corfe and Mary BERNARD
She lived rue de Poterie

Joger - Thank you, but I already have this. However, I was never able to translate where she resided, which you have done - that is good! I can check Google Street View now, though there have been 2 x World Wars since then  :(

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 February 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Joger

Yes, I am presuming Charles Henry (de) BELIN was born in France or Channel Island mainly because of him being a French Master, and moving to France in 1828. Further, when he died in 1836 newspapers of the day indicated he was born on Guernsey. When one of his granddaughters died in 1887, her obituary indicated she was descended from  "Dr.de BELIN a French refugee of noble blood who escaped to England during the First French Revolution, and came to London and taught French".

My biggest probelm with all of this is, on his 2nd marriage record in 1830, it indicates he is "native of Dublin, and living in Valognes". Dublin was certainly a shock, but is it correct or a written mistake? The closest I can find to that birth is Carolus BELIN bpt.1764 St.Andrews, Dublin, to parents Georgii and Elizabeth BELIN married 1763. But that birth is too young and there is no middle name. My Charles Henry BELIN was "30 years and upwards" when married in 1789 (b.1759 or before), and when he died in 1836 newspapers said he was 87 years old (b.1749).

First wife Mary Bernard Corfe was b.1767 Salisbury. Father Englishman (composer and head organist/choir master Salisbury Cathedral). Mother also born in England.

You ask where Charles Joseph (de) BELIN married Sarah WATTS?  He married in the British Embassy in Paris 1825. He was a Protestant Reverend for the British Forces in France, and resided in Le Havre for nearly 10 years where he also ran an English Boarding School. This was his second marriage, his first was in London in 1815, this wife dying in Le Havre 1824.

I hope this is not too confusing for you?

Les

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 February 19 12:33 GMT (UK) »
https://www.geneanet.org/archives/registres/view/30054/184
Henry Charles DE BELIN, living 125 rue St Victor ,not of full age ,son of Charles and Sara SPRATT married Jeanne Henry on the 25th of august 1853 in St Nicolas du Chardonnet (catholic church).

Have you seen this link?
https://gw.geneanet.org/amandataylor1?lang=fr&pz=timothy&nz=keary&m=D&p=charles+joseph&n=de+belin&siblings=on&notes=on&t=T&v=6&image=on&marriage=on&full=on
Is he your Charles Joseph ?

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 February 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
https://www.geneanet.org/archives/registres/view/30054/184
Henry Charles DE BELIN, living 125 rue St Victor ,not of full age ,son of Charles and Sara SPRATT married Jeanne Henry on the 25th of august 1853 in St Nicolas du Chardonnet (catholic church).

Have you seen this link?
https://gw.geneanet.org/amandataylor1?lang=fr&pz=timothy&nz=keary&m=D&p=charles+joseph&n=de+belin&siblings=on&notes=on&t=T&v=6&image=on&marriage=on&full=on
Is he your Charles Joseph ?

Thanks Joger, but I have the marriage of Henri Charles de Belin in 1873. And all those other links are my own reserach information I gave to the owner of that tree, Amanda Taylor.

Les

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 February 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your answers.
I understand your difficulties.
Do you know what Charles Belin was doing in Valognes ?

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your answers.
I understand your difficulties.
Do you know what Charles Belin was doing in Valognes ?

Don't know why he went to Valognes in 1828. His wife died there that year, and by 1830 re had remarried giving his residence as Valognes. However, by 1831 his son by second marriage was born in Paris. Charles committed suicide in Paris 1836 due to big gambling losses at the roulette table.

Les