Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12606 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Munros of Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #45 on: Friday 10 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »

Bell Munroe "daughter of Donald .... and Christine McKenzie his wife"

Greg, there are quite a few trees on a/try Some look well researched with a lot of detail such as here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108543857/person/230152513460/facts

Bell's details given as:

Isabella Munro 1819–1881
Birth 1 JAN 1819  Alness or Tain, Ross-shire, Scotland
Death 20 DEC 1881 Woomargama, New South Wales, Australia

Marriage:  1 Nov 1839 Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia
Spouse:  George Dawson

Her father's details show as:

Donald Munro 1783–1880
Birth 23 JUN 1783 Alness
Death 15 FEB 1880 Paisley, Renfrewshire

Donald's parents given as John Munro and Janet Bremner

If there was a family connection between Christina and Bell, maybe some clues there re Christina and her family?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 10 August 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Something I just realised (on a different tangent) .... on the typed card in the first post, it says father John Munroe is from Lossie, Elgin.

On the original image of the passenger list the place name where John is farming is probably "Parish of Logie" (despite the g looking like a double s). There is NO "Elgin", or anything that can be interpreted as Elgin.  :-\

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 August 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
Something I just realised (on a different tangent) .... on the typed card in the first post, it says father John Munroe is from Lossie, Elgin.

On the original image of the passenger list the place name where John is farming is probably "Parish of Logie" (despite the g looking like a double s). There is NO "Elgin", or anything that can be interpreted as Elgin.  :-\

:) That's exactly the point - the original doesn't mention Elgin, but the typed transcription does, so somewhere along the line someone must have added it, so maybe this person saw 'Logie' and misread it as 'Lossie', and thought he'd be clever by adding Elgin.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
NSW immigration card, 1839
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 11 August 18 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hello. This is a NSW card from Christy Munro (Scotland).
I can read most of it, except for the bit "a framer in the parish of ????"

Is it Losie, or Logie?

I ask because the second immigration card, which has been typed (copied from the original, I assume) which says: "Father, Munroe John of Lossie, Elgin".

Many thanks.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW immigration card, 1839
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 11 August 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
It's Losie.

The third letter is the long-s, which was still common in handwriting in 1839.

I believe another example is in Rosshire, two lines above.

ADDED:

By the nineteenth century, the long-s was generally used only in mid-word positions, and as the first of a double-s.

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 11 August 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks HorsleyDown86.
However, if that's a long S, why is it not used in the words "his" and "housemaid"?
On further reflection, to me it looks like the G in the name Lady MacNaughten.
Still somewhat puzzled. But leaning to Logie. But Logie Easter or Logies Wester?
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
I also read that as the long 's'.

I would not expect to see a long 's' in that era in either 'his' or 'housemaid' . 

I am familiar with transcribing NSW records in that era. 

Those digitised images likely are from Ancestry who have a current partnership with the NSW State Archives.   

Here is the contact details for NSW Archives.  I am sure that if you were to send an email enquiry to them that they would confirm that is typical of the long 's' script used in that era.  There were two 's'... the standard 's' and the long 's'. 

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/ask-an-archivist 

See also
 :)  https://herreputationforaccomplishment.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/rules-for-writing-long-and-short-s-in-jane-austens-era/
and
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb32-1/tb100west.pdf
and
 http://www.historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=2729
and
many discussions here at RootsChat.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, majm
Hmm. That creates a dilemma. There is no place called Losie in Scotland. There is a Lossiemouth in Elgin, which is a fair way from Dornoch. The locals sometimes refer to it as Loissie, so maybe Christiana said that to the official in Sydney. Fun, fun, fun.
Regards
Greg

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5313/4_4780/Lady%20McNaughton_28%20Jan%201839/4_478000091.jpg&No=1

Here is the NSW Archives live link to the passenger list of the Lady McNaughton, arriving NSW Jan 1839

Look for a passenger named George MUNROE.  You will see he was of Rosshire, and a Mason.  Notice the two ways of writing the letter 's'.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.