Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Munros of Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
I've merged 2 topics to prevent duplication of effort and to keep things in one place.

These previous topics on this subject are here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786760.0 (locked without replies)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786759.18 (Merged)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn.  :) It was getting quite confusing with so many Munroe threads.

JM, just for information ... on the passenger list it says that Christy can "read" (but does not say she can write).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
JM, is this the link to the Christ Church Cathedral register book that you wanted to post?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/sets/72157605132739200/

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
Yes,  :) but can see read scribble when in a queue and standing while the paperwork is on a table in front of a seated clerk who has loose leaf papers all facing him ..   :)

Not easy to read scribble when it is upsidedown  :D

If clerk was rushed then likely he said ' what name' and she said 'Munro' and then he fumbled around and found 'Christy'... and said 'next' ....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:31 BST (UK) »

Yes ,  theres many more too but thats great  ...many thanks Ruskie.   :)  :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 11 August 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
There are a number of entries for children to parents John Munro and Margaret Munro. These entries all show in Rosskeen, R&C. There may be more that one couple with this name in the area though:

24/06/1809 - Margaret MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
15/02/1810 - Alexander MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
28/02/1811 - John MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
28/05/1813 - Ann MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
17/02/1816 - Alexander MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
23/02/1823 - Catherine MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO
12/03/1826 - Janet MUNRO, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO

Specifically for a Christina and variants, nothing showing in Sutherland (re Dornoch) but in R&C there are the following entries:

28/01/1806 - Christian, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO in Rosskeen
16/08/1809 - Christian, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO in Logie Easter
25/11/1819 - Christian, John MUNRO and Margaret MUNRO in Alness

However, as we all know, at this time the listings/entries are never complete  :-\

The 1841 census in Logie for a John and Margaret family is also the closest I had seen before from a previous thread.

The Alexander and George Munro on the manifest, possibly father and son? Is there a way of identifying wives' names?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: NSW immigration card, 1839
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 11 August 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
I would not expect to see a long 's' in that era in either 'his' or 'housemaid' . 
Neither would I.

Nor would I expect to find a long 's' in the middle of a word but not followed by a short 's'.

I have already told gregperth that I think it is 'g' as in 'Lady Macnaghten'. It looks nothing like the 's' in 'his', 'housemaid' or 'parish'.

There is no parish called Losie or Lossie or Lossiemouth in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:09 BST (UK) »

The Alexander and George Munro on the manifest, possibly father and son? Is there a way of identifying wives' names?

Monica

Alexander Munroe, mason, age 41 yrs, his father David, a mason, his mother Christina Evans.
Wife - Jane, aged 30 yrs, her father Wm Fraser, a gardener, her mother Christina Ross.
Children - David 11, William 8, Jane 4, Margt 2.

George Munro age 24 yrs, stone mason, from Rosskeen Rothshire. His father Alexander Munro, mason, no mother's name given.
Wife Mary, age 26, from Otain?, Rothshire. Her father William Ross a farmer. No mother named.
1 child Alexander 12mths.

Obviously Rothshire should be Rossshire but it is quite clearly written as such for Mary. Writing Is awful, and it probably not worth the effort of trying to work out what the correct words are unless it is needed further down the track. There doesn't seem to be any relevant or close connection to Christe and her family.

The 1819 baptism of Christian in Alness would appear to be the closest age wise wouldn't it. Earlier I found a marriage between John Munroe and Margaret Munroe in Alness which may be the same couple. How to prove it though?  :-\

Greg, do you know much about Christy's life in Australia? I am wondering if any of her siblings also made the journey from Ross-shire to Australia? Family members often came out seperately. There may be further information in their immigration records.  :-\

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 12 August 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ruskie. There were so many Munros on board. As yet I haven't been Abe to determine who's connected to whom. Similarly, I have a list of marriages of John Munro and Margarets around that time (including that one in Alness). But indeed, how to prove who one is correct. What is frustrating is that Christiana had eight children, yet there is no information about them. Only one other person in Australia is researching the Munros directly - a chap in Canberra (DNA match) who has been doing it for nine years and he's no more advanced than me. There is another chap in Qld who is related to the McDonalds (Christy came with them) but he's also stumped. He is an expert at the Scottish naming conventions (ie, Munro can all be Cook), the septs and aliases. So far nothing concrete. Apart from my direct line of Smith (also a problem) I am most keen to sort out my Scottish lineage, as I have a son and granddaughter there.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,