Author Topic: Stuck locating Byrne parents of my great grandfather  (Read 5925 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck locating Byrne parents of my great grandfather
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 February 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Just to repeat ages are not accurate in old records especially among those with low literacy and give a personal example

My relative Mary Louise WALKINSHAW is shown as aged 35 on the 1911 census living with her 55 year old sister Eliza. LINK
It is a very clear and legible 35

Yet in 1901 she is shown as 45 and Eliza is 42! LINK
Her surname is also given as SMYTH in 1901 the same as her brother-in-law rather than WALKINSHAW which was her only surname as she never married.

She died on March 6 1915 and her sister was the informant on the civil death record and gave her age as 60 LINK #94

Doing the maths between these three dates no two can be correct

Don't know how to spell it out more clearly, but you do not appear to be reading my prior responses - these are two different families with Arthur and Elizabeth as parents, one in Ballymanus and one in Ballinglen with different children some with overlapping names - if you read my input you will see that this is simply NOT the same son Patrick.
I'm sorry it seems that way however if there were two families in the same area there would be two sets of records.
There are records of other Arthur BYRNEs but none that I found with a wife named Elizabeth at that time or children of the same names. edited please see next reply
Take a moment to review what you know from word of mouth and from proven sources

Family research teaches us very quickly that stories change with time and information can be distorted and inaccurate although close to true.  I tell people to write it all down and keep it but also check it is true.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I kept looking and Arthur BYRNE married twice

He married a second time on Oct 30 1888 to Elizabeth NOLAN LINK
The record is not very clear but I think it gives Elizabeth's age as 26 implying she was born c1862 which would be approx 40 in 1901
The church record is not on line but states that Arthur BYRNE was married before and was from Ballinglen

Elizabeth BYRNE nee BYRNE died Aug 21 1885 aged 35 according to her death record LINK #159
This implies she was born c1850

She and Arthur were the parents of
Joseph bap Oct 12 1871
Laurence bap May 1872
Margaret bap Aug 28 1874
Hugh bap Mar 06 1876
Maria bap Sep 06 1877
Patrick b Apr 25 1879
Catherine bap Oct 04 1880
Anne bap Mar 24 1882
Denis b Nov 01 1883
Arthur b May 31 1885

I still haven't located birth or baptism records for Margaret or Elizabeth but without an estimated year of birth it is proving difficult with a common name - their mother may have been Elizabeth NOLAN if the births are after 1888.  However, in light of your comment earlier "Ditto for his sisters who had also would have left home by that stage (all in their 20's)" referring to leaving home before 1901 I would have expected their births to have been earlier that 1885 (aged 16 in 1901)

Based on both marriage records Arthur's father was Hugh
Based on the second record his mother was Margaret
This ties in with the baptism in Killaveny (just south of Ballinglen) on Mar 31 1846
of Art BYRNE to Hugh BYRNE and Margaret KEEGAN given earlier
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 February 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I kept looking and Arthur BYRNE married twice

He married a second time on Oct 30 1888 to Elizabeth NOLAN LINK
The record is not very clear but I think it gives Elizabeth's age as 26 implying she was born c1862 which would be approx 40 in 1901
The church record is not on line but states that Arthur BYRNE was married before and was from Ballinglen

Elizabeth BYRNE nee BYRNE died Aug 21 1885 aged 35 according to her death record LINK #159
This implies she was born c1850

She and Arthur were the parents of
Joseph bap Oct 12 1871
Laurence bap May 1872
Hugh bap Mar 06 1876
Maria bap Sep 06 1877
Patrick b Apr 25 1879
Catherine bap Oct 04 1880
Anne bap Mar 24 1882
Denis b Nov 01 1883
Arthur b May 31 1885

I still haven't located birth or baptism records for Margaret or Elizabeth but without an estimated year of birth it is proving difficult with a common name - their mother may have been Elizabeth NOLAN if their births are after 1888.  However, in light of your comment earlier "Ditto for his sisters who had also would have left home by that stage (all in their 20's)" referring to leaving home before 1901 I would have expected their births to have been earlier that 1885 (aged 16 in 1901)

Based on both marriage records Arthur's father was Hugh
Based on the second record his mother was Margaret
This ties in with the baptism in Killaveny (just south of Ballinglen) on Mar 31 1846
of Art BYRNE to Hugh BYRNE and Margaret KEEGAN given earlier

Must be wrong family as poster has census, marriage and death records for Patrick that all validate his age which was 20 in 1901 hence born 1881

No sign of the other family!!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Harrington St Dublin ?
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0517

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 February 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra/Dundee for that I could see her birth or baptism for all the BYRNEs!!

I would suggest to ciaranob that you contact the Irish Valuation Office in the Irish Life Mall
http://www.valoff.ie/en/Archives_Genealogy_Public_Office/
or call in!

If you bring the address they were living at in 1901 they can show you the folio on a map and tell you who owned/rented the land from their records.  This would show if their property straddled the border between Ballymanus and Ballinglen and is the reason for the confusion.
Further generations:

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile