Author Topic: Stuck locating Byrne parents of my great grandfather  (Read 5934 times)

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck locating Byrne parents of my great grandfather
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 February 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely no problem and again appreciate the interest and suggestions.   I am trying of course to reduce the uncertainties though and to be honest the only new piece of info I have in this thread to date is the possibility of Arthur remarrying and linking back to Ballymanus Elizabeth Byrne nee Byrne - just need to recheck her child list - I'll look on FamilySearch etc.   All the other records including Margaret etc. I actually already had from searches of FamilySearch.org/NLI Parish and civil records/Nat Archives/Tithe books and online sites like MyHeritage/Ancestry/FindMyPast etc.

It was the mormon site that just recently flagged a member tree as linking Cavanagh as a possible maiden name of the Ballinglen Elizabeth but nothing certain of course as yet (I am x-checking dates to see if that even fits).  The baptismal record you pointed to for Elizabeth Byrne (nee Byrne) for son Joseph Byrne in Oct 12 1871 (pic attached) is actually a birth to Arthur Byrne and Eliza Byrne nee Cavanagh. Couple that with the original Arthur Byrne baptismal record I found for 1848 which fits the 1901 53 year age for Arthur in Ballinglen (as opposed to the 1846 record suggested in this thread and a link to the Hugh as father above) means I cannot rule that out either (having father Charles and mother Anne), perhaps still the least likely though. 

Back to the proposed re-marrriage confirmation - need to be sure that the suggested Arthur Byrne to Elizabeth Byrne nee Nolan is the correct Arthur (seems like this cert reads to Balltinglass and may be a red herring - would then throw out Hugh as father etc.).  I'll work this further.

Have a list of all Byrnes in the Ballinglen and surrounding Parishes and will work those too to try to resolve the inconsistencies but those on this forum with much more experience in this field can likely expedite this process (thats the hope!) :) 

Research scientist by background but in an entirely different field and like you have a day job and wishing I had more time for the search - extremely interesting to me :)!

Sorry ciaranob I have commitments and no time today to go through everything here

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Found it now, there is 1871 and other years on more than one page, very confusing.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633692#page/24/mode/1up

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes - same as posted in my last post.

Found it now, there is 1871 and other years on more than one page, very confusing.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633692#page/24/mode/1up

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
So in respect the Arthur Byrne who married Elizabeth (nee) Byrne in Ballymanus in 1871 being the same Arthur that married Elizabeth (nee) Nolan in Baltinglass 1888.

Asside: Does seem a bit odd that Arthur a farmer would live in Ballymanus in 1871 then in Baltinglass in 1888 then back in Ballinglen prior to 1901 i.e. Baltinglass is definitely the ‘odd out’ location w.r.t. farmland lease/ownership - maybe just co-dwelling prior to marriage

REVIEW OF WHAT RECORDS WE HAVE:

As poster MyLuck! pointed out, both Ballymanus and Baltinglass Arthur’s share a Hugh Byrne as a father - seems highly probable they are the same person.  If we carry that, again as MyLuck points out, there is also a baptismal record of Arthur born to Hugh and Margaret Byrne which indicates Arthur is born in 1846 - this matches Ballymanus Arthur’s age in the 1871 Ballymanus marriage certificate (at 25), so all consistent.

Further Ballymanus Elizabeth dies in 1885 age 35.
Arthur then marries Baltinglass Elizabeth in 1888 - this timing works.

So the remaining uncertainty for me is whether Arthur son of Hugh or either of these Elizabeths are in fact related to the 1901 Census record of an Arthur and Elizabeth Byrne in Ballinglen - we do not have anything to 100% directly link them as yet other than area and sharing two sons names Denis and Arthur.

Ballinglen Arthur born 1848 - note there is one baptism/birth in Tinahely of Arthur Byrne born to Charles Byrne and Anne (nee) Murphy - no certainty if the same Arthur but the date does match his later reported age.
Ballinglen Arthur recorded as age 53, wife Elizabeth 40 in 1911 census
Ballinglen Arthur dies in 1907 (2 sources), is notably a widower, but death record says 55 - should be 59 based on 1901 census!  Note Arthur son of Hugh should be 61 in 1907!!
Ballinglen Elizabeth dies in 1905 age 63 - big problem with this age is the Ballinglen Elizabeth in the  1901 census is 40!! - which age is correct (if we assume the same woman)?

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

1) One possible way to link the Elizabeth (nee Nolan) in the 1888 Baltinglass Arthur Byrne marriage certificate is to read her age as 46 and not 26 (even though it looks more like 26 it is a very poorly preserved image - cracking this may be key).  If we make it 46 then Elizabeth (nee Nolan) would indeed match in respect age to the death date for Ballinglen Elizabeth at 63 in 1905. This solution would still need the 1901 Ballinglen census age of 40 to be (significantly) wrong - perhaps a typo and should have been a 6 instead of a 4?

2) Alternatively, as MyLuck! earlier suggested, if 26 is correct then Elizabeth (nee Nolan) would be approx 40 in 1901 matching the census and implying the death record of 63 is an error and perhaps should be 43.  I am leaning towards this for now.

3) That Arthur/Elizabeth in 1901 Ballinglen are not connected to Arthur (son of Hugh) nor his two wives.

Sorry ciaranob I have commitments and no time today to go through everything here

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »

Research scientist by background but in an entirely different field and like you have a day job and wishing I had more time for the search - extremely interesting to me :)!

If you can find the Formula for 100% accuracy in Genealogy then Register it....make a fortune!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Indeed - not looking for that but ages that are 20 years inconsistent likely raise more of a flag than +/- 5 years.  A typo is another possibility i.e. error in entry rather than word of mouth age.

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone hazard a guess as to what could be written in the red circles in the attached screen dump - tried various ways to enhance the text but pretty much the same result - MyLuck! mentioned that there may be additional info in the offline church records (including stating Arthur was remarrying and from Ballinglen) which would be great to see if possible - assume the notes added later on the side to entry 9 might refer to this.
LINK:  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10784/5932891.pdf

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Nolan  age 26 years
  "         "         mother Mary French/Trench?
Priest and parish     P. Boland  P.P. Hacketstown

Offline ciaranob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 05 February 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Thx - thats two for 26 :)  The indent or dot below the candidate 2 had me considering other numbers as possible - was trying to imagine a 4 but 26 def a high probability.  Was hoping to decipher some of the later note on the side but super tough to read.

Elizabeth Nolan  age 26 years
  "         "         mother Mary French/Trench?
Priest and parish     P. Boland  P.P. Hacketstown