Author Topic: Susan Mary Flynn  (Read 5991 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Mary Flynn
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
This may or may not be the correct Susan but one never knows :)

Derry Journal, 5 Feb.1909: LAUNDRESS SEEKS COMPENSATION
Judge Overend, an application was heard requesting an airbitration under the Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1906, between Mrs. Susan Flood, 18, Roseville Street, and Samuel Nesbitt, proprietor Imperial Hotel, Derry, to determine the amount of compensation payable...

Northern Whig, 5 Feb.1909: Susan Flood, who had been employed in the Imperial Hotel as laundress and pantry-maid, applied to be awarded compensation against Mr Samuel Nesbitt...

If this is her, Susan went to New York and had daughter in 1907 then came to Derry with the child perhaps this accident[?] meant she wasn't able to look after a small child, thus the child appearing in another household in 1911?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to post following re: Susan's birth-

William Flynn & Mary Anne Smith had 2 daughters registered as Susan- one in 1883 and other in 1885 (who died 1886). Susan Flynn's marriage gives her as 'full age' so it's possible she is the first Susan born 1883. I've come across this same sort of thing before so it's possible in this case also.

Susan Flynn (1883 Corlurgan) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02722/2001439.pdf
Susan Flynn (31 Jan.1885 Corlurgan-11 Apr.1886 Breffni) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02656/1979256.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06240/4786224.pdf

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
The articles are interesting aghadowey.
I posted earlier re a 1911 death for a Susan Flood, Derry but couldn’t find a census entry or marriage for her. It may be the one from the articles.

I also did a lengthy post re the Susan births and the deaths of mother and child, all linked to records,  but Magh Itha wonders if they are not the same family - I lean towards them being for the same explanations you give.

I wonder if the child, Ellen/Mary Ann was not Mr Flood's child. It presumably would never be proven but something seems to have gone very wrong with the families. Perhaps both families shunned her.

If I recall, and I think I posted this, William Flynn (with second wife), his son, John- Susan's brother and the Flood family were all living in close proximity to each other in 1911, after the birth of the baby.

I was looking at a birth for a child of William and Ann Brady Flynn and Stephen Flood’s daughter was the informant. This was before the Stephen/Susan marriage so there were links which were apparently very much broken.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
It does seem strange...

William Flynn & Mary Anne Smith had 2 daughters registered as Susan- one in 1883 and other in 1885 who died.

So 2 year old Susan Flynn born 1883 had a sister Susan born 1885....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 07:55 GMT (UK) »
It does seem sort of mixed up but have seen this sort of thing before. It may be that the 1883 daughter was registered as Susan but the decided to call her something else, daughter born in 1885 registered (and called) Susan then dies in 1886 but parents wanted to keep name so they went back to calling 1883 one Susan.

Re: 1909 newspaper articles
The full articles may, or may not, shed more light on 'Mrs. Susan Flood' but I can only see partial extract as posted.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
  • Quinn of Convoy and related families
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
This is evidence in court case:

Susan Flood stated that last October she was employed in the Imperial Hotel as laundress and pantry maid at £1 month and board and lodging, which would cost about 7s a week. On the 13th of the month she was going up a ladder with about nine steps with a small bath in order to get some clothes in the loft. When she got to the last but one the rung broke. Her leg slipped through, not being able to balance herself she fell  her leg was scratched with a nail, and her ears bled. She only stayed a week and a day after the accident in the hotel, she was getting worse. Her back was sore and her head very dizzy.

This does not get us any further.

Thank you all for your continuing efforts

Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Magh Itha.
As you say it doesn’t help with the mystery.

May I just ask if your friend knows definitely that Mary Ann in the census is definitely the daughter of Susan Flynn Flood of Cavan.
Presumably, the knowledge was passed on?
I don’t doubt the information at all but just want to make sure that we are searching the right people.

Thanks
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
  • Quinn of Convoy and related families
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Am seeking to make contact.

However I have a baptismal certificate from October 1953 based upon a statement from "Mary Ann Flood" that her parents were Stephen Flood and Susan Flynn and that document is most likely the source for B. He feels that he has been told lies all his life so he lacks confidence as to what is correct.

It is a fact that she maintained a sibling relationship with the other Doherty children listed in the 1911 census during her lifetime.
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford