Author Topic: Cheddar Man's DNA  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Cheddar Man's DNA
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 17 March 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Up to date chapter in "The origins of the Angle Saxons " suggests that he was very dark skinned.But, after all so what?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 17 March 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes,Skoosh, the art of warfare skipped a generation.

Mind you I can see why,given his preferences ,he would run when hordes of hairy men wearing skirts and with  long flowing red hair were charging at him
with their handbags handy at the front.
Also he may have had  a date or two with Piers Gaviston or Hugh the
Despenser.
Poor devil Berkeley Castle!
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 17 March 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Why can't I get this thread to "un-notify" me of replies, please? I've tried a couple of times ... but it keeps coming back, as does one other.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 18 March 19 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Up to date chapter in "The origins of the Angle Saxons " suggests that he was very dark skinned.But, after all so what?
But we are told that Angles when taken to,Rome were described as Angels because of their fair skin and fair hair.
So who,is or was kidding who?
I liked that story at school!
Viktoria.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
The Angles taken to Rome around 200AD.
Cheddar man around 8000BC at the latest. During that 8000 or so years there was plenty of time for people of a different ethnicity to live in this island.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 22 September 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
While I agree with the comments about lack of serious scientific content in the programme, I do find these forensic reconstructions fascinating. Looking at a heap of bones, or even a well preserved skull, I find it impossible to visualise the living person. I'm sure there is some artistic licence in the finer details but the basic anatomy is fairly well understood, so I believe the general proportions are accurate. One thing we will probably never know is whether they shaved or had a haircut, or had tattos all over their faces, earrings, or other piercings like many modern day hunter/gatherers . . .  :-\

Like a lot of our TV output, it was 15 minutes of interesting information squeezed into an hour  ::)

What does that matter if some people think they have evidence that the person being studied had blue eyes? What does it all mean ? Whatever one likes it seems.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 22 September 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
The eyes and skin tone immediately reminded me of this photo -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Lots of Near Eastern people have pale eyes.

Wasn't that something to do with 1) The Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, and 2) Kidnappings by Arab raiders along the south west coast of England?

I thought that was the Vikings.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 22 September 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
The eyes and skin tone immediately reminded me of this photo -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Wasn't that something to do with 1) The Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, and 2) Kidnappings by Arab raiders along the south west coast of England?

Probably, and many other raiding groups

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 22 September 19 23:19 BST (UK) »

Barbary Pirates from what is Morocco actually occupied Lundy Island in the 17th century. In 1640 it was estimated 3000-5000 English people were kept captive in Algiers alone

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/

As to why some people in Afghanistan, northern Pakistan and India are lighter skinned and blue eyed, that may simply reflect some ancient common Indo-European origins.