Author Topic: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Death entry has her as 73 on 9 July 1835

???

She was born Aug/Sep 1861/62.  She died July 1935, so she had not yet had her birthday for that year which should make her year of birth 1861.  I think (math is my worst subject).

I will check the census returns to see what the comment is for the age column.  I believe at least one states "age at last birthdate" and I believe 1861 (taken in Jan 1862) states age at next birthdate.  That could be making a difference.

Update:  My computer was acting up (responding very slowly).  Hopefully, after turning it off and on again it will go back to normal. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I just think that the birth dates on the the 1901 (15 August 1862) might be the best indication. The person who informed on her death would not necessarily know her birth date - FaG has it as 11 September 1861.  Do you have the death cert available to see who was the informant?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
This could explain minor variations in her ages (for Canadian Census returns):
1851 - age next birthday
1861 - age next birthday
1861 - age next birthday
1871 - age
1881 - age
1891 - age
1901 - month and date of birth, year of birth, age at last birthday
1911 - month of birth, year of birth, age at last birthday
1921 - age at last birthday

I appreciate your inquiries about Dora - I was wondering (out loud - to myself) how the dates could be off, not wondering about your findings.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Just adding this before I go and do some other things. This from the 1901, giving William and Dora's birthdates.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I do have the certificate - one of her sons - my grandfather - was the informant.  But also included on the certificate is the birth date of Aug 12.  I have September 11 on a 5-generation chart that I printed in 1993.  I am going to spend a few minutes looking for the photograph of the headstone - I think it only has a year, but now I am wondering where I found September as her month of birth.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting the image.  I appreciate your help and I will delve into all of my paperwork to sort things out.  Thank you again; I hope you have a good evening.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget.  I just dug through one binder - I do not have any birth, marriage or death papers that state her exact birth information.  I either obtained the date from my father/aunt, or more than likely it was obtained from the headstone (which doesn't make it correct, of course).

I will continue to have a look around after I do some much-needed work in the front garden (we don't want to lose any possible visitors in the tall grass).  ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both; your replies are quite interesting. I am attaching a photo that is of Dora and her fiance/husband and it was identified on RootsChat as possibly mid-1880s.  To me, she looks quite different (keeping in mind that her head positioning could make a difference) in the two photos.

(Gadget, Dora is the lady we were discussing last week with the possible hidden foot.)

Dora did marry in 1888.  To me, its a bit odd that her face is so full in the photo attached above (compared to the one below).   :-\

She does look older in this photo doesn't she....I did think I had seen her face before. Dating photos is not an exact science and there are always exceptions but Gadget is more experienced than me.
Carol

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU