Author Topic: DNA results are back!  (Read 12187 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results are back!
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
thanks all.

I am over it now.. and realise it is just a game... I will carry on with my tree my way.. and leave it to see if anyone does want to connect that really is a connection..

Not the husband of the father of my second cousins husband.. etc.. :) 

Tomorrow is another day.. lets hope it will be a good one..

:)

xin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
It just takes a bit of getting used to.

A bit like learning to drive.  I remember my father taking me for my first lesson.  Put the car in first gear, stalled it several times and then finally got going.  Next thing I'm doing 25 mph in first gear, the revs are high and Dad's telling me to change to second gear.  I got very cranky at him because I'd been told nothing about changing gear and how to do it.  I pulled over, got out of the car and stomped off.   

Getting your DNA results is like being throw in the drivers seat without any driving lessons.  It will make sense eventually.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Now that is me to a 'T'  thank you for that Hurworth...

its made me end the day smiling. xx

take care

xin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 05 March 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Quick hint for Xin and anyone else with problems with locations at Ancestry DNA.

Find a match, any match to someone with a public tree.
Pedigree and surnames, Shared matches, Map and Locations
Click on Map and Locations

You will be presented with a world map, your places in blue, their places in brown, joint places in both trees in green.

Click on any blue one shown incorrectly, e.g. in USA when should be in UK.

It will show you the name of your ancestor and Ancestry's interpretation of the place name. Then go to that ancestor and change the address to one accepted by Ancestry, including country if not already added.

You will only have to do this for direct ancestors.  I found some in USA when I entered street name and number, eg born 12, North Street, Anytown, Sussex, England.

Take out 12, North Street, add it to the description so the info isn't lost.

Hope this helps
Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that :)

I decided to actually go through all 6,000 odd and type england united kingdom in capital letters, with commas and full stops and NO abbreviations.. then the error will not be down to my laziness.. but what a boring job... still who has better things to do... !!!!! I wish.  :) :) :)

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I very much agree that the 'standard' route of genealogy should always be via documentation first and foremost. I wouldn't have it any other way - and anyone trying to research their ancestry solely through DNA is whistling in the wind.

However, I already think DNA tests have their place. Without going into detail which might bore you to death, I have a very longstanding brickwall in William Horwood (see my note at the foot of this post). I have a theory about his parentage and ancestry but, without a baptism, I couldn't prove it. Now, I've checked one of my 4th-6th cousin matches and it seems to bear out my theory.

I still won't rest until I find the baptism/birth though!

I'm only a couple of days into this DNA thing but already have one major gripe - why are the vast majority of my matches either minus a tree; with a tree of 2 or 3 people all tagged as private, or with a totally private tree! What was the point in you doing this, folks?  >:(
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
yes agree with the gripe :)

But what with all the ... hoo haa.... I have had over the last couple of days.  Being stupidly upset over being European and NOT BRITISH ( ha ha ha   :)
Today I have some wonderful news

I am ME  :)  so that is good. absolutely great.. I was beginning to doubt it.. But No the DNA matches have proved it.. :) 

xin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I very much agree that the 'standard' route of genealogy should always be via documentation first and foremost. I wouldn't have it any other way - and anyone trying to research their ancestry solely through DNA is whistling in the wind.

However, I already think DNA tests have their place. Without going into detail which might bore you to death, I have a very longstanding brickwall in William Horwood (see my note at the foot of this post). I have a theory about his parentage and ancestry but, without a baptism, I couldn't prove it. Now, I've checked one of my 4th-6th cousin matches and it seems to bear out my theory.

I still won't rest until I find the baptism/birth though!

I'm only a couple of days into this DNA thing but already have one major gripe - why are the vast majority of my matches either minus a tree; with a tree of 2 or 3 people all tagged as private, or with a totally private tree! What was the point in you doing this, folks?  >:(

It's results like this that make it all worthwhile. I had a theory about my 5G grandfather, Stephen Leversuch, who married in 1745, given as 'Of Wallop' (Wiltshire, England).

There was a Stephen Leversidge baptised in Chitterne, Wiltshire in 1723, but was it correct?

Found burial of his father as Stephen Leverstrech alias Leversuch, several children baptised as Leversidge/Leverstretch/Leversuch or similar, including Mary Leversidge 1730, so a possibility, but nothing proven.

A surname check at ancestryDNA for Leversuch came up with several results from fairly recent generations, plus one for a Mary Leversuch, married 1755 in Thruxton, Hampshire.

Other Laversuch DNA matches also matched with this person, and I am confident enough to say that this has taken me back at least one generation further back to Stephen and Mary's parents, our mutual 6G grandparents.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Me too, me too.

We sent in 2 tests in one bag, bought together must be returned together. Posted 9 Jan, received 15 Jan,
Then our cousin got her results back in a miraculous 4 weeks. Oh no where were mine!
How unfair!
We reckoned they must have rolled off the bench and stayed there on the floor for a week until the cleaner swept up and put it back on the bench.  ;)
Then the postie brought in the Black Friday sale tests and they were all dumped on top o mine.
Hehe  ;D
We got my results last Tuesday! Phew yay

So many 4th cousins with no trees, as everyone has said already.

It’s early days but...
What has got up my nose is that nobody else in the list of 250 odd has contacted us for our shared matches.
they have had my lovingly duplicated public tree available to entice them, with the DNA tests dutifully attached.

Well that silence speaks very loudly.

We have now attached the DNA’s to our private tree and got rid of the duplicate public trees.
We shall work through the matches and message those folks that pique our interest.

Downloading the raw data and uploading to the free sites like GEDmatch is working better for us.

I want to breach the brick wall of Robert Warren, but that will require AncestryDNA from a few other Warrens NOT just peeps who are descended from him, to prove my theory.

The American Civil War can’t have killed them all, please.

Salute,
Janelle