Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56438 times)

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
  • No man is at all hours wise
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #72 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone sees this, I am new here and about 2 years after the last post on this thread!

My Grandfather was john Kay of Gorsey bank Wirksworth, my Gran Fanny Jane Kay (nee Wragg)
They had 4 daughters
Edith Born May 1896
Dora Born Feb 1898
Joan Alice born 1905 (that is not a definite date)
Margaret born Dec 1907 (My Mother) died having me in 1946

They had 2 sons
John Arnold born 1901
George Morris born Nov 1911

not sure how this works but if greengrb picks this up he will see we are related as his Aunt Gale is my cousin, I wont go much further as we are talking living people and we must respect them. I cant PM yet as I haven't done enough posts but please PM me.

Back to the Nightingale connection I worked it back from my grandmother (wragg) her mother was Mary Ann Bowmer and her mother was Jane Nightingale.  I also realise I could be barking up the wrong tree and hope to prove it with documentation,trouble is pension doesn't stretch very far!

hope this is useful
John
Kay, wragg, Nightingale, Lawrence, Warren,Hurt,Prince, Smith/Smythe
Kent,Derbyshire,Warwickshire,lincolnshire,
Staffordshire,London

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 23 December 12 13:17 GMT (UK) »
You must realise of course, that none of these people mentioned on this Thread have any relationship at all with FLORENCE NIGHTNGALE, simply because she had no descendants..and neither did her sisters. Her father WILLIAM SHORE adopted the name in order to inherit the Estate of (Mad) Peter Nightingale....his great uncle who died childless....
There may well be SHORE descendants, but you must consider that any family named Nightingale is likely to call a daughter Florence simply because of the fame of the original holder of the name.
As a long term researcher i can tell you that none of the Nightingales mentioned in this thread bear any relationship to Florence Nightingale........
Parthenope's marriage into the Verney family did not produce any children.

Trouble is that everybody who wants to be related to Florence refuse to accept my research..one example is where people come up with earlier Nightingales or Nightingalls fail to realise that they died out with Peter Nightingale.....before William Shore was born!

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
You must realise of course, that none of these people mentioned on this Thread have any relationship at all with FLORENCE NIGHTNGALE, simply because she had no descendants..and neither did her sisters.

Derek.

Surely that closes this thread, but at the same time we who are researching families need to investigate information that has been knocking around the family for years.
To prove things are right sometimes we follow the wrong path and that is how we learn.

John
Staffordshire,London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
You must realise of course, that none of these people mentioned on this Thread have any relationship at all with FLORENCE NIGHTNGALE, simply because she had no descendants..and neither did her sisters. Her father WILLIAM SHORE adopted the name in order to inherit the Estate of (Mad) Peter Nightingale....his great uncle who died childless....
There may well be SHORE descendants, but you must consider that any family named Nightingale is likely to call a daughter Florence simply because of the fame of the original holder of the name.
As a long term researcher i can tell you that none of the Nightingales mentioned in this thread bear any relationship to Florence Nightingale........
Parthenope's marriage into the Verney family did not produce any children.

Trouble is that everybody who wants to be related to Florence refuse to accept my research..one example is where people come up with earlier Nightingales or Nightingalls fail to realise that they died out with Peter Nightingale.....before William Shore was born!

Derek.

I would agree with most of what you say - apart from your final paragraph; I imagine that most people (like myself) want to prove or disprove any connection, remembering of course that disproof can be just as important.

It also is important that this thread has led in so many directions, some which have been fruitless, while there has been some useful information come to light.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Saxonx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Visit me at www.brooksfamily.name
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 05 January 13 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a few Nightingales and Dakins in my tree (located in the Duffeld/Milford areas) - not sure it adds anything to this discussion but it may be of interest:

www.brooksfamily.name

Brooks originating in Derbyshire. DNA Haplotype E1b1b1b*
Belchamber in Surrey
Stofer anywhere
Hinchcliffe in Hertfordshire ? Kent? Essex?
Brooks in Sheffield
Hurworth in Yorkshire & County Durham
DNA - Haplotype: E1b1b1b*

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 13 January 13 00:25 GMT (UK) »
On a lighter note my Uncle Fred (Hurt) was a fishmonger in Derby! all those miles from the sea. I live on the coast and we don't have one!
Still checking my Nightingale theory.
John
Staffordshire,London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 13 January 13 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a few Nightingales and Dakins in my tree (located in the Duffeld/Milford areas) - not sure it adds anything to this discussion but it may be of interest:

www.brooksfamily.name

Can't see anything although I also have Dakin/Daykin also from Wirksworth.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »

Derek.

The research that you talk about is it available to us? because it is difficult to accept something you have never seen!
John
Staffordshire,London

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 11 February 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

There are lots of books, however the following site give a short, but correct, tree:-

http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale/genealog.htm

Peter Nightingale started a factory with John Smedley this still exists today at Lea & Holloway:-
http://www.johnsmedley.com/blog/tag/peter-nightingale/

http://www.johnsmedley.com/
John Smedley story is part way down the page.

Think what everyone is trying to say, without being rude, is follow your own family backwards
in doing this should you find a connection to a famous family GREAT, but just because your
name is Nightingale does not mean you are related to Nightingale of Lea & holloway.

Typical example is Nightingale family in Belper - most of whom were Nailers.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.