Author Topic: Florence Nightingale  (Read 56428 times)

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
  • No man is at all hours wise
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove,

You haven't been rude but you have given this amateur more research options.  I have always said that there is a possibility of a connection, but without spending pots of dosh I can't prove it! (pensions don't stretch that far) I worked back up the maternal line from my Grandmother Fanny Kay (nee Wragg).  I do appreciate that the link may indeed be to Nailers especially as the area is Belper!
Thanks will look at the links.

John :-\  :-\  :-\
Kay, wragg, Nightingale, Lawrence, Warren,Hurt,Prince, Smith/Smythe
Kent,Derbyshire,Warwickshire,lincolnshire,
Staffordshire,London

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
a comment.

The Florence Nightingale was a nurse and had no children of her own...

Many folk accross the UK admired her, and as a consequence many Florence Nightingales were named.   I too had heard a rumour that my kin were related to her, but upon severe investigation , the family rumour was laid to rest, it turned out one of the kin had met her but in no way was related to her or her actual family.

But it can be said she was in her day a living legend ,  and, not many folk can ever make that humble claim.....

but reading the replies to this post has been very enlightening.....

:)

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 20:14 GMT (UK) »
a comment.

The Florence Nightingale was a nurse and had no children of her own...

but reading the replies to this post has been very enlightening.....

:)

Hi fastfusion,
I have never claimed to be related directly to this lady,I am just investigating something that My Grandad believed to be truth as I said earlier sometimes we learn because we have got it wrong! I will claim nothing until I can prove it.
Thanks
John
Staffordshire,London

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:27 BST (UK) »

Trouble is that everybody who wants to be related to Florence refuse to accept my research..one example is where people come up with earlier Nightingales or Nightingalls fail to realise that they died out with Peter Nightingale.....before William Shore was born!

Derek.

Hi
is at all possible to see the research refered to above???
Staffordshire,London

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Jael.yes it is more than possible....you can do it all yourself by "Googling" Florence Nightingale..and following  whatever scroll down links you like............You have to be patient, and clear headed....you can find almost anything,including her full genealogy..family tree etc.....and you will see that there is no modern day link..except for the descendants of Wililiam Shore's parents. Youcan find the London Gazette entry for his change of name to Nightingale..and the full story of "Mad" Peter Nightingale his great uncle..(Peter died childless) and William Shore had to change his name to Nightingale in order to inherit Peter's Property...........
...but I can assure you that the Nightingales died out with Florence...no question.
Have a good look around.and if you get into trouble, give me a shout

Derek/
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Derek,
Will do. I am just trying to prove or disprove something that my Grandfather, John Kay/key born Belper 1874 fervently believed to be the truth, my grandmother Fanny Jane Kay/Key nee Wragg was allegedly the distantly related one.

Any way I understand it will take Yonks to disprove, and I start climbing the wall and slipping off.
Thanks again
John
Staffordshire,London

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Just have to come back to this subject and make a few comments about your family.

John Key was not born in Belper he was born Wirksworth, part of Belper Registration District.

Fanny Jane Wragg born 1875 Brimmington, the dau of John Wragg born 1845 Bakewell = Ann  Bowmer born 1853 Wirksworth.

In 1891 Census Fanny J Wragg is living with her G.parents Bowmer in Wirksworth.

Lots of families have stories, ignore the story and follow your own family back in time.

Good Luck
Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove,
As I knew my Grandfather I did know he was born in Wirksworth, I said Belper because that is the registration district.
Anyway I have now found the name Nightingale and have started the arduous task of seeing if it links in any distant way.
I do not expect any relationship to be proved but will learn a lot along the way!
my thanks
John
Staffordshire,London

Offline jael438

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 11 May 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
I have been busy and working back from my Grandmother I have somethig like this,
Born in 1844 in Bakewell Derbyshire, John Wragg was lodging at Marsden House, Brimington in 1871, single man, aged 28. It would appear he married two girls named Bowmer, Mary Ann and Ann Bowmer. His first wife, Mary Ann was the daughter of Hugh & Jane Bowmer (nee Nightingale) who he married in June qtr 1873 GRO ref 7b 1143 Chesterfield district. His second wife, Ann Bowmer in Sept qtr 1880 GRO ref 7b 797, Belper district was the daughter of Benjamin & Elizabeth Bowmer (ne Roper) {she was Mary Ann's aunt}. The marriage took place at The Congregational Church & Chapel of Wirksworth. Witnesses to the marriage were John Bowmer (brother of bride) and Susannah Shenton. All parties signed the register themselves. The couple can be found in the 1881 census with two children, Fanny Jane Wragg, 6, and Samuel Wragg, 4 (children of the first marriage) living at Burnell St., Brimington. Ann Bowmer was John's second wife as he was a widower at the time of their marriage, aged 34 years, the son of Samuel Wragg Labourer. In 1891 John Wragg and Ann were resident at 1 Brook Terrace, Matlock. John was aged 47, Ann 38. There is an additional child in the household, Annie E Wragg aged 6, born Brimington. Fanny Jane Wragg is missing from the household at this time but can be found on the night of the 1891 census in the household of Hugh & Jane Bowmer, aged 11, described as "granddaughter". By 1901 John & Ann Wragg were back at Wirksworth, at Steeple Grange, living with daughter Annie E. John was aged 57, Ann 46 and Annie E, 16. Throughout his lifetime John Wragg was described as "Labourer, Gas Works, Gas Maker,Gas Stoker & Labourer and a Fireman.
It is through Mary Ann Wragg nee Bowmer that the name Nightingale comes up, I cannot see any way that there is a relationship to FN because the name should be Shore.
Will keep you posted, as obviously I now need to double check all.
Staffordshire,London