Author Topic: Identify Location?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Location?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 05 April 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in Portugal?

Skoosh.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 05 April 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
I checked as much as I could about Portugal but the closest image of the Coat of Arms is of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain after 1492.   So possibly a Sanatorium in Spain used by the British ?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 April 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Or a room/club-room in Portugal/Spain with various arms used for decoration. Spain & Portugal were united at one time anyhow & Alexander the Great wasn't Portugese/Spanish either!
 One of the Port companies HQ or a British Sherry company HQ?
 Portugal is famous for its azulejos (tiles).

Skoosh.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 April 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
I tried searching for TB Sanatoriums in Spain & Portugal but struck out.  I use Epic, Yahoo and Duckduckgo but nothing really searches the internet like they used to.  In the bad old days you could set-up Advanced Search criteria and it only found what you were looking for and discarded the spurious comparisons ... nowadays ... advertisements on everything .. Even the Wayback Machine is becoming difficult to trawl  ... stuff I know was definitely on the web in 1990s from Strathclyde Uni has disappeared
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 April 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - I'll have to do a bit more research on the Spain/Portugal suggestions.  :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 April 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
I tried searching for TB Sanatoriums in Spain & Portugal but struck out.  I use Epic, Yahoo and Duckduckgo but nothing really searches the internet like they used to.  In the bad old days you could set-up Advanced Search criteria and it only found what you were looking for and discarded the spurious comparisons ... nowadays ... advertisements on everything .. Even the Wayback Machine is becoming difficult to trawl  ... stuff I know was definitely on the web in 1990s from Strathclyde Uni has disappeared

I need your brain  :)  it sounds like one I used to have :) :)   My ancient website I once found on Wayback   but now Nope :(
Xinia

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 April 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
I tried searching for TB Sanatoriums in Spain & Portugal but struck out. 

See reply #15 re hospital.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 05 April 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
We can rule out his stay in a Sanatorium because I've just found out he was in Garngoch Hospital, Gorseinon, Swansea and that photo was not taken there.

B.
Thanx, I knew of this post about Garngoch but he could have been in there for another purpose, or TB, but the fact that he is sitting in a chair in a room with the Spanish Monarchs Coat of Arms suggest strongly that he was somewhere in the Iberian Peninsula, possibly for TB treatment.
It is not likely to be in Wales or the UK unless it is premises belonging to a Religious House where medical treatment is offered.  The search needs to be widened ... perhaps to the Spanish Islands.

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 August 21 20:45 BST (UK) »
It looks like the location of the photograph is Talygarn Convalescent and Rehabilitation Home, Pontyclun, Glamorgan.

Taken in the ‘winter garden lounge’, the convalescent home was for injured miners.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qtq/

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qtr/

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork