Author Topic: Advice on placename spelling please  (Read 3600 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Advice on placename spelling please
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 08:57 BST (UK) »
My GGG grandfather, Thomas John Saunders, lived most of his live in Godalming, however in the 1871 census his place of birth is described as High Wickham, but in Surrey.  In the 1861 census it is stated as High Ham, Buckinghamshire.

Can anyone with more experience of research in Buckinghamshire tell me if the spelling High Whickham is common?

Thankyou
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on placename spelling please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:19 BST (UK) »
There is no High Wickham in Surrey nor even a Wickham - odd since lots of counties have a Wickham. Many have something or the other "Ham" as that just meant a village in Saxon.
There is a Wickham in Bucks.  Perhaps the "High" was the bit up the hill?"Whickham" as a spelling appears to be unknown today.
I cannot guess when he was born but if it was after 1837 you may find his birth record. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry. I forgot to add that if it was Bucks it is more likely to be "Wycombe". There exists a town called High Wycombe - I visited it several times when I was young. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 05 09:25 BST (UK) »
The spelling of any information in census seems to be more dependent of the enumerator's guesses and grasp (or lack) of geography than anything else.

Especially in these kind of cases, the whole census household can be as revealing as anything elese

Can you put them up, and we can see what might be the answer.

Address
Name,age, birthplace, occupation

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Here are the two images, one from 1861 is just before his wife's death - they have moved to London Road Guildford at this time.  On the second one, 1871,  he is living in Providence Street Woking with his daughter Emma.  He died there a year later.

Estimated birth date is 1791.  He was a papermaker, and then cut hair once he was older.

If you can make anything better of the script I'd be greateful.

I had assumed that it was High Wycombe but that the transcriber in Surrey guessed at the spelling.

Many thanks

Ashley

DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

I would say it is High Wycombe on the census. If your GGG Grandfather started out as a paper maker he could well have done so in High Wycombe as there was a paper making industry there.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on placename - another idea?
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
I've noticed that there is a parish in Buckinghamshire called Hitcham - do you think that could have been transcribed as High Ham? 

Are there any alternative spellings for the parish in your experience (sorry but this is the only relative I've researched in Bucks).

Thanks

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

I don't know of any alternate spellings for Hitcham but yes, it could have been transcribed as High Ham if the enumerator didn't hear the name properly. Then again, the birth place on the other census is almost certainly High Wycombe.

I've just seen on the IGI a christening for Thomas Saunders 9th Sept 1792 in Hitcham, are you thinking this could be your Thomas. ???

Hitcham isn't very far from High Wycombe, maybe he was born there & the family then moved to H Wycombe.

Just thought I would check the 1851 census for Hitcham & Wycombe, there are no Saunders born or living in Hitcham but there are 2 Saunders born in H Wycombe. Do you know if he had any kin that could have still been in Bucks. ????

I hope this is of some help to you.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie

Sory for the silence - I got bogged down in County Durham and Yorkshire with my Spoors and Billingsleys!

Yes I did spot Thomas in 1792 in Hitcham on the IGI and that was what started my thought process.

Thomas's eldest son was called Josiah and I have seen quite a few Josiah Saunders in Bucks on the censuses and the IGI so I think there must be a link but I have no definite evidence.

One interesting thing is that when Josiah got married in Sunderland in 1841 one of the witnesses was Henry Saunders but I don't have one in my tree - it definitely isn't a brother so it must be a cousin but that is the only clue I have

Ashley