Author Topic: Warner of Battersea  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Warner of Battersea
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
My grandparents married in South Wales in 1913. My grandfather was William james Warner age 40 with a father of the same name. The most likeky match in the 1881 census was a father/son William Warner in Gt Missenden Bucks. I have just found "my" William in Frere St Battersea in 1901. He is a bricklayer - he came to South Wales to build a viaduct so this fits. BUT William is married to Charlotte and they have 2 sons named Charles and William, coincidentally the names given to 2 of my grandparents sons. So can someone tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree or did Charlotte die? If so, if this is my grandfather, what happened to his boys? ???
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Warner of Battersea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
What does it say on the census - does it list him as a widower?
If it does, and this is 'your' William, the boys could be anywhere - do you have ages for them?
Could they have been 'at school',  with a relative, apprenticed?
A man on his own would probably be unlikely looking after his own children and working, unless he could afford a nanny (or the equivalent).
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Cougar, thanks for the interest. The 1901 census quotes William 28 bricklayer. Charlotte 27 wife born Oxford. William J. 3 born Battersea andCharles  2 or 0 months. I thought that he may have been widowed but couldn't find any deaths between 1901 and 1913 when William, if the same one , married my gran. My mum never mentioned having stepbrothers though  he may have left them with family. When my gran and 2 babies died in 1920 he did keep his family together albeit reluctantly - as soon as they reached 14 he found them work and lodgings and apparently did a runner! I am really hoping that a descendant of William and Charles will surface to shed some light on the subject!
PS love the photo - but I think I'll stick to my German Shepherds!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 02:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I don't think I read your original post properly.
Are you saying that you think this is 'your William' but if so, wrong wife??
Have you tried to search for a divorce then - if you can't find a death - they were not uncommon back then?
What is your grandmother's name - when and where did they marry and what info was on it in regard to William?
Full of questions - not answers, but might help (I hope).
Don't be surprised to find family members you (or your parents) never knew about.
I discovered 8 brothers and sisters for my grandfather when I went looking for the family after death of my Mother.  Niether of Mum's brothers were aware of them either.
You stick to your shepherds, I'll stick with my pussy cats - they were so awesome, gentle, lovable and endangered.
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello again Cougar! I have a copy of my grandparents marriage. They were married on 13th December 1913 at the parish church parish of Llandeilo-talybont glamorgan. He was William James Warner age 40 bachelor (not widower or divorcee) labourer residence Bolgoed St ( which is in Pontardulais Swansea) father same name horse dealer. Wife Elizabeth Williams 25 spinster also of Bolgoed St Pontardulais. They went on to have 4 children, Edward Francis born and died 1920, Walter charles born 1917 died 1918, sophia Edith born 1916 ( my mum) and William james born 1914. Elizabeth, the wife, died in 1920. So my mum grew up with only snippets she remembered but much of this has proved false - her father was from banbury (no) he was a cook in the boer war ( no record in Kew). So using the info on the certificate I found a William of the right age in Gt Missenden with a William father - but of course they may not be the same. I've traced this William to Battersea but I'd be happy if someone could tell me this isn't my grandad. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a bigamist! I have spoken to my cousins (my uncle Will's boys). He hated his father and never spoke about him though they remember someone contacting their father once from Whitton or Witney. That's it I'm afraid, Cheers Chris

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 05 04:49 BST (UK) »
OK
Just checked that 1901 you found - but that is saying William James jnr is 3 - yet you say he wasn't born until 1914?
Don't think this is the right family - also if they weren't married until 1913 unless they were living in sin - wouldn't be together in 1901????   or am I on the wrong track here?In 1901 you should be looking for them separately, not as a family unit.

Cougar

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't be explaining things well. William b1873 Gt Missenden was the best match on 1881 census for my grandfather. but in 1901 I found him married to a woman not my grandmother. Another confusion was that his children with Charlotte 1901 were the same names as the children with Elizabeth who he married in 1913 ( same names different children). All I want to do is either find out wife 1 died or he committed bigamy or to rule this William out of my search completely, it was just coincidence they were born the same year, had the same job. Cheers Chris

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 05 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I still can't see that this is your William -
There are 756 William Warner's listed in the 1881 census - only 4 of them are William James Warner - which doesn't mean anything - he might not have given his middle name.  I assume you went through the 700 odd entries and found only one which fit the criterea?
It bothers me that you say Grandad got married in 1913 and his namesake born 1914 yet you have 'found him' on an 1881/1901 census which is before he was born.
What also bothers me is they were married in Wales - did the Welsh in those days move about the countryside - or tend to stay put near their own areas?
Would love to get some input from someone else and see what they think.
Cougar