Author Topic: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?  (Read 26732 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
NO! what a waste of money!
0 Shared Ancestor Hints
0 Starred matches
 210 4th cousins or closer
most have no trees, i don't recognise any surnames & i'm currently having a mini tantrum as i'm so disappointed!  ???

If you only got your results back recently you will have no shared ancestor hints. Takes time for ancestry to search through your tree, if you have one, and compare with those matches that have a tree. Bear in mind, these will be people you probably already know are connected to you, or you can find their trees easily enough. They are not going to help you with any brick walls, or any lines where you are uncertain and have not connected them to yourself. (e.g. if you have a possibility for an ancestor, but have not attached them to your tree, you won't get a shared ancestor hint)

You will have no starred matches until you give one a star.

You will have to work hard to find valid matches. I have had one person contact me to see how we may be related, however, I have sent many messages to other people, trying to establish the connection.

Somewhere in your 210 matches there will be some positive ones, also in your many thousands of 5th to 8th cousins.

My suggestion is to stick with it for a while, perhaps following Peter Calver's Lost Cousins DNA Masterclass.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Sunday 03 February 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I cant say that im dissatisfied with it,just very confused as to how they have come to the conclusion they have with my test.
Ive just got my results back,and it says that im 100% England,Wales and NorthWestern Europe.No connection to anywhere else in the world.Not even trace elements.More specifically,it says im very likely connected to SE England(im from Kent).For all the other 12 regions in that category,it says no connection.Even Essex,just across the Thames Estuary,no connection.This has left me baffled.Am I really to believe that the only place anywhere in the world that I have any connection to is Kent?And even that is only"very likely".Has anyone got any thoughts on it,or has anyone had a similar result?Many thanks.

Nel.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Sunday 03 February 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I cant say that im dissatisfied with it,just very confused as to how they have come to the conclusion they have with my test.
Ive just got my results back,and it says that im 100% England,Wales and NorthWestern Europe.No connection to anywhere else in the world.Not even trace elements.More specifically,it says im very likely connected to SE England(im from Kent).For all the other 12 regions in that category,it says no connection.Even Essex,just across the Thames Estuary,no connection.This has left me baffled.Am I really to believe that the only place anywhere in the world that I have any connection to is Kent?And even that is only"very likely".Has anyone got any thoughts on it,or has anyone had a similar result?Many thanks.

Nel.

We you expecting to have Ancestry from anywhere else in the world?  If you think all your ancestors for the most recent generations were British then 100% England,Wales and NorthWestern Europe is quite possible.

They're not saying that you don't have ancestry from outside of Kent, but that this is coming up as a predominant area.  Some people don't get any "communities" at all.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 03 February 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Nel, Kent, my birthplace, is the Garden of England. Enjoy it.

Martin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 03 February 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Nel.

Hello

Despite the claims of the companies these DNA tests do not tell you what your ethnic inheritance is. What they tell you is what you have in common with their control groups that can be ridiculously small. As each company has their own standards, test with different companies and you can get quite different results.

To show the variations you can get below is a link to another thread and the first post is where I give my differing results from three companies. there are also lots of comments from other people on the subject.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802458.msg6603725#msg6603725

At the end of the day its best to take the results in a good natured way but not seriously as they are certainly not scientific or proven as the widely varying results you can get shows.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 03 February 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Nel,

Has your research so far shown any ancestors outside of Kent/South-East England?

As for Essex - The Thames was a big barrier for travel with few bridges and ferries (no Blackwall Tunnel or Dartford Crossing).

Your DNA will show origins beyond what is researchable, of course, but some people didn't move far.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Monday 04 February 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.

It has to be said that a large part of my family has been rooted in the SE for a long time,but there are some that I know were from different parts of the country,and a couple that id been led to believe were from further afield.

My dads family mostly lived and worked in Faversham and surrounding area for over 200 years,predominantly as gunpowder labourers,creekside labourers,barge loaders and brickfield workers.These were the predominant industries in Faversham back then.They mostly married local people.The family name is Jacobs.My 3xgreat grandparents were Jesse Coppins and Mary Ann Jacob.They never married,and we got the surname Jacob with an added "s".Ive got back to 1700s with Coppins,Kent born and bred.Ive got back to Marys father James on the Jacob,born 1802 Faversham.
Other surnames on Dads paternal side are Wildish,Bullock,Coe,Johncock,Epps, Harris,Tilly,Ormiston.All Kent born,apart from one.My something x great gran Jane Ormiston,born in Durham in 1797.So not much suprise with my result from these.

On dads maternal side,nans dad Arthur Priddle was born in Kingston upon Thames in 1878,his father was born in Long Ditton,Somerset and grandfather born in Sherborn,Dorset.The wives in this line mostly born in Sussex.

On mums side,her mums family were Camburns,they were a big family from Whitstable,nan had nearly 70 1st cousins.They were mostly fisherman,oyster dredgers,shrimpers,fish hawkers,merchant seamen etc.They go back to at least 1673 in Kent with Robert Camburn born Harbledown.A lot did move away though.Nans uncle Alf went to Stranraer in Scotland,married and had 14 children,so ive got lots of cousins there.Nans 1st cousin Charlie went there too.There are lots more who moved away.Ive got a lot of family in Grimsby and Hull.

Mums dad was from Dorset.He met nan when his regiment was stationed near Whitstable.He was illigitimate,but his mums family were mostly from Hampshire and Somerset.

So how am i exclusively Kent,with no connection to any region outside of it?Ive got three lines that i thought might be from further afield,but ive got to go out,so i will post a bit later.

Thanks again.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Monday 04 February 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »

So how am i exclusively Kent,with no connection to any region outside of it?Ive got three lines that i thought might be from further afield,but ive got to go out,so i will post a bit later.

Thanks again.

Like I said, I manage a kit that has NO genetic communities - the known ancestors are approx 3/8 Scottish (but from all over Scotland) with West Riding being the next most prominent area, then Midlands, Essex, Dorset/Devon and Irish in fairly equal measure.  Perhaps it's too mixed up for any areas to stand out.  There's enough matches with 4th and 5th cousins, and even further out, descended from these lines to know that it's not because the DNA doesn't match the tree.  There's one large segment shared with distant cousins all over the world which has been passed down from from siblings born in Essex in the 1760s and 1770s.

The other two kits I have access to do have genetic communities, but their ancestry isn't as mixed.  It has picked up the Yorkshire in one of them.

This test is not designed to be able to drill down all that closely but you're fortunate that they picked up Kent.  It's not that useful a feature though.

LivingDNA claims to be able to break it down further into regions.

You could also upload to Gedmatch.  Some of the admixture tools they have there has a further breakdown of the British Isles.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Nel.
Bear in mind the England, Wales and North Western Europe region allows for the fact that English genes are very similar to central-northern French, Belgian, Dutch and north west German and Danish genes due to the Anglo-Saxon foundation of England, British foundation of Brittany, Normans in common, Flemish weavers and Huguenots in England, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany etc. So having 100% of that most certainly does not mean, say, that you don't have French ancestry. My mother has 100% E,W, NWE, but she has hundreds of matches to people who are 100% French in ancestry so clearly does have French genes, and this is clearly exhibited in our own genealogy. Also bear in mind the English, Welsh and Scottish regions are currently very limited compared to Ireland, which now has 92, hopefully this will improve soon!