Author Topic: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?  (Read 26773 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?
« Reply #72 on: Monday 02 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
I haven't had mine done and probably wont in the foreseeable future. My first cousin had hers done and it didn't show any German connections although we are 100% certain that our paternal grandfather and grandmother were German. I have also made contact with a relative of my great grandmother's sister, who still lives in the same village in Germany. So in this case a paper trail has found a relative that DNA wouldn't have done.

The ethnic estimate might have been misleading, but the DNA matches would surely have flagged up any German cousins who had also had their DNA tested, and thus confirmed your paper trail.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 02 April 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
If lots of people have taken the test purely for ethnicity results and that is why they haven't bothered with trees, all I can say is that they must have more money than sense. Its not exactly cheap!

They also might have had their results back, looked at the DNA match lists, and got completely overwhelmed, confused and therefore don't know where to start!

Then there's all the commercial push to have it done for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, St.Patrick's Day, etc, etc. People run out of gift ideas and and get these things for friends and relatives, but they aren't that interested beyond the initial 'Oh look, your 4% Scandinavian. That must be why you shop in IKEA' response.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Well I’ve just had a contact  regarding my DNA tree and guess what the person lives in the same town I live in. I can foresee lots of family history chats over coffee.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
that sounds interesting Panda...

my match is only 40 miles away

its strange.

to think years ago we had a massive Telephone directory, that I would go through searching people with the same name..

this is all slightly different.. to say the least

xin

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
This article in The Guardian, amongst other thing made me decide against testing.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/04/home-dna-kit-for-130-is-it-worth-it
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
This article in The Guardian, amongst other thing made me decide against testing.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/04/home-dna-kit-for-130-is-it-worth-it

The article mainly focuses on ethnicity, which most people on this forum and others regard as a bit of 'fun', not to be taken seriously.

It also talks about a fourth cousin contacting the writer, and his initial thoughts that she might be after money.

What a poor article, obviously not written by a genealogist. I would make my judgements on other articles myself

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
The opening sentence :-  I am not British --- sounded just like me when I got mine... I actually cried as I have said on here..

70% European... f.g.s.

I again (repeating myself)  didn't send for the kit for Ethnicity -- but its a shock at first.  However sending the RAW DNA to My Heritage they straight away got it to 'suit me better' at 100% English  - and ooodles of matches.. 

So I am ok with it now.  Although - I have had to put it aside to continue... my true research.. Which I enjoy more.  Than just saying.. ' You don't happen to be my 7th cousin do you'

xin
 ??? ::) ;D

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
On the subject of ethnicity predictions this is what Bryan Sykes of Oxford Ancestors (one of the first companies in the field) says

That has all changed now and cheap DNA tests are widely available, even if their meaning is sometimes dubious. The popularity of ‘ethnic testing’ is a case in point, where even religious persuasion is given a genetic foundation by some companies. Have they never heard of the outrages of ‘racial purity’ and the eugenics movement or is it just one more business opportunity?

His company is now closing down, read more at

http://www.oxfordancestors.com/
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
OK, I do get it. Sorry I have upset you all with ethnicity issues. I will stick to my lovely beginner folks forum in future.
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid