Author Topic: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?  (Read 26791 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
OK, I do get it. Sorry I have upset you all with ethnicity issues. I will stick to my lovely beginner folks forum in future.

I don't think you have upset anyone. Its just that the DNA ethnicity topic is a lively one with many diverse opinions and not a little misunderstanding.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
I've recently had my DNA tested and uploaded it to 2 sites.

Of my top 10-15 matches, I already know the others or know exactly how we are related.
( some are from the same family ie parent/child/ grandchild)

It's the random DNA matcheswhere there is a tree attached that I find  baffling if not, hilarious.

One match (estimated 4.1 degrees of separation) has a full tree going back to the 1700's
Every single ancestor was born, married and died in one of the southern US states.

All of my ancestry going back to 1700's is effectively Irish.
Working backwards from 1750 just one line of my combined ancestry is Scottish
My estimated ethnicity works out at 86% (combined UK and Ireland)
The remainder is estimated to be European

Some matches do seem to be totally random unless there are hidden secrets in the DNA match trees

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry, 3Chant, I didn't mean to upset you, and you certainly didn't upset me.

Was merely pointing out that most of us realise after we get our results back that ethnicity reports are very rarely accurate.  My heritage as far as I have gone back on paper is nearly all Southern British, one 4G grandfather coming from Ireland.

My ancestry report says that I am 48% Western European, 33% Great British, 12% Irish, 3% Iberian Peninsular and the rest small amounts from other places.

I tested for a different reason, to break down a brick wall or two, connect with other people to confirm relationships, etc.  My ethnicity result I take with a pinch of salt. 

I have contacted 4th cousins, 5th cousins, 6th cousins and 7th cousins, just like Karen did in the article. I am purely interested in confirming where the connection is likely to be.

The person who has written the article was not initially interested in his ethnicity and is not interested in family history. He had his test done, presumably for free, about a year before and had not looked at his results at all.

Sorry again 3chant, please come back again, we are quite a friendly bunch.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
OK, I do get it. Sorry I have upset you all with ethnicity issues. I will stick to my lovely beginner folks forum in future.

Noooo you didnt upset me xxxx its the darn results that did that... ha ha ha ... I am perfect as everyone knows.. so they should have been :) :) :)   

its only
Xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
I'm puzzled by one of my 22 top matches. (Top, as in 4th-6th cousin, high confidence or better).

I've been communicating with the lady (Lady X) and we've finally homed in on a match with our Patchetts/Pagets (same 3x great grandparents). The variation in the surname didn't help. However, through various means, I had already identified 4 other Patchett connections all of who share a match with me BUT THE MATCH BETWEEN ME AND LADY X IS NOT SHARED BY ANYONE ELSE!

I'm struggling to understand how this could be? Any ideas? Does it mean that there should be another connection that we haven't found yet?

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I'm puzzled by one of my 22 top matches. (Top, as in 4th-6th cousin, high confidence or better).

I've been communicating with the lady (Lady X) and we've finally homed in on a match with our Patchetts/Pagets (same 3x great grandparents). The variation in the surname didn't help. However, through various means, I had already identified 4 other Patchett connections all of who share a match with me BUT THE MATCH BETWEEN ME AND LADY X IS NOT SHARED BY ANYONE ELSE!

I'm struggling to understand how this could be? Any ideas? Does it mean that there should be another connection that we haven't found yet?

What you describe is perfectly possible and I read an explanation of why within the last fortnight. I think it was on here (but if not it was on a link on Gedmatch) but not sure what term to use to try and search for it. So it might be worth seeing if you can put a suitable phrase in the search function and see what it comes up with (if it was on here it was not necessarily in the DNA sub forum as people post about DNA on other boards here too)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Jill, If you and your Patchett matches share the same common ancestors, i.e. are all 4th cousins to each other, then that is probably just one of those things.  The chances of finding DNA from 3G grandparents is pretty good, approximately 70% at ancestry. But some of them may have inherited more or less than another match.

Since Ancestry only picks up shared matches between 4th to 6th cousins or closer, this lady could either not match the other 4 at all, or more likely, does match one or more of them at 5th to 8th cousin level, so does not show as sharing a match with them.

I have shared my DNA results with another person, paper trail suggests that we are 5th cousins, mutual 4G grandparents. Her sister and aunt (4th cousin) have also been tested.  None of them match with me at all.

However, using DNAhelper, we have found that both her aunt and her cousin match 2 of my 3rd cousins from the same line.

It does seem a lottery at times as to how much DNA is passed down from one generation to the next.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:54 BST (UK) »

Or, as you say, there maybe another link which you haven't found as yet.
Regards Margaret

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
very satisfied with my  mothers results
confirmed name of my grandmothers grandfather who emigrated from usa and traced descendents

also found her half cousin who was the son of and  grandma's half brother
my grandma was illegitimate and in fact lack of any other mutual matches on this branch helped confirm .
the locality button shows ancestors in same town of LaTVIA for some 5th cousins who have replied but we dont know exactly how we connect yet

as for my own dna results my scottish paternal side hasnt thrown up much yet.

and i sent for a test for my scottish aunt ....and am one of the guilty ones who only has a small tree for her but will answer anyone who posts a message when i check the site i created for her .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson