Author Topic: Elizabeth O'Connor b.1871  (Read 3147 times)

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth O'Connor b.1871
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but I'm trying to trace my great great grandmother Elizabeth O'Connor b.1871 Co. Clare according to UK 1901 census. Not sure when she moved to Sussex, England but that's where she met and married my gg grandfathet Edwin Joseph Hammond. She was apparently a seamstress/dressmaker.

The 1901 census also shows Elizabeth's sister Margaret b1868, also a dressmaker, as visiting, although not sure whether from Ireland or elsewhere.

If any of this rings any bells please contact me.

Thanks
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth O'Connor b.1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a linen drapers in Kilrush in County Clare in the 1870s and 1880s called M O'Connor & Co.  It was in Market Square and listed in the Bassett's directory.  It was owned by Mary O'Connor

Bridget O'Connor 36 had a drapers in Henry Street Kilrush in 1901 as per census

In the 1840s Patrick O'Connor owned a linen drapers in Moore Street Kilrush.  It was listed in Slater's directory.  This business was however owned by the Lynchs by 1900 as per census

Don't know if any of this helps.  ???

Offline gougy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 05 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have now found out that her father was Thomas O'CONNOR occupation on her marriage cert is..

Sergeant of Police (deceased)

Anyone any the wiser??

:)

Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 05 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Gougy:

PRONI has microfilmed 44 volumes of service registers of members of the Irish Constabulary and the Royal Irish Constabulary, 1816-1922. 1816-1836 covers the Peace Preservation Force, the forerunner to the IrishConstabulary. The entries are arranged numerically by service number and give full name, age, height, religion,native county, trade or calling, marital status, native county of wife, date joined, counties in which the memberserved and length of service (PRONI MIC/454). These films are available in the LDS Family History Centresthroughout Australia and the World.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:gTG4m2GyJfwJ:www.sag.org.au/aisnltrs/AISN0204.pdf+king+RIC+carlow&hl=en

Northern Ireland Police Museum
PSNI HQ, ‘Brooklyn’, Knock Road, Belfast BT5 6LE
Tel: 028 90650222 x 22499
E-mail museum@psni.police.uk
Web http://www.psni.police.uk/museum/index.htm

The museum houses uniforms, weapons and information on the history of policing in Ireland from 1822, with particular relevance to the Royal Irish Constabulary in the 1916-21 period. A complete database of RIC service records is accessible at the museum.
Open Mon-Fri, 9.30am-12.30pm, 1.30pm-4.30pm. Visits by appointment preferred

Perhaps you can find more about Thomas which could lead to more on Elizabeth.

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline gougy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a million Pat - some really good leads to follow up there. I'm so glad Thomas was in the RIC and not my usual - ag lab!! SHould be a bit easier to track down  :)

Thanks again