Author Topic: St George's Church, Edworth  (Read 11308 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: St George's Church, Edworth
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi cupcake,

Looking through the various newspaper articles on Bethiah's death, at least one notes that she was interred at Bedford Cemetery.

Bedfordshire Mercury
11 Apr 1874
A Woman Found Drowned
Mysterious Death

... Deceased was interred in the Bedford Cemetery on Friday...

I couldn't find any burial record online nor in the Beds FHS surname index (but the Beds FHS transcripts don't tend to go up to this date). JohnP may know whether any of the Beds Cemetery records or transcripts of this period are available online.

Thank you for giving me Bethia's interred place Bedford cemetery, also the Bedford Mercury 11 April 1874. Is there just one Bedford Cemetery?

Sometime ago I contacted the Biggleswade Town Council to find out where my Grandparents - Percy .C. KIDMAN & Gertrude KIDMAN (Partridge)were buried.They are in Drove Road Cemetery.

Wonder if Bethia stayed with, or near her brother George KIDMAN (jnr.) I do wonder why Bethia married both men in Pancras, London, normally the Bride married from where she was born.

I am going to put another post up Charles John DOUNE/DONNE as I can't find him anywhere.

Thank you once again.

cupcake

Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Beds Archives have the cemetery records....  suggest you contact them for a look up 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Beds Archives have the cemetery records....  suggest you contact them for a look up

I will do.

Have been searching for any other information on Bethia's tragic death and discovered, she had been missing:

AND ETON ExPitr,As, REMO, BUCKS, SURREY, AND MIDDLESEX JOURNAL: MA TDENHEAD ANT) SLOUGH GAZITTE,—APRIL IS. 1874
... the body of a lady was found floating in the river Ouse at Bedford, and has been since identified as that of the missing Mrs. Doane. At the inquest held upon the body by Dr. Prior, at the Ship Hotel. Bedford, Mrs. Annie limes, a boarding-house keeper, ...
Published: Saturday 18 April 1874
Newspaper: Windsor and Eton Express
County: Berkshire, England
Type: Illustrated | Words: 12979 | Page: 2, 3 | Tags: none

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 24 March 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Your best option would be to read the articles in the British Newspaper Archives, either directly or via FindMyPast; both have free trials or maybe your local library has a subscription.

Skimming through newspapers for Kidmans (just on your direct line) I came across various items, below are some of the more interesting ones. If you branch out from I expect you'll find numerous other items.

1843 Thomas Kidman - Deceased, of Streatley - Cambridge Independent Press 30 Dec 1843
1867 George Kidman - Auction of property - Bedfordshire Mercury 14 Sep 1867
1867 George Kidman - Notice to creditors - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 17 Sep 1867
1874 Bethiah Donne (Kidman) - Found drowned - Bedfordshire Mercury 11 Apr 1874
1875 James Kidman - of Dunton, found body of child in well - Bedfordshire Mercury 20 Mar 1875
1878 Edith Kidman - Auction of property - Cambridge Independent 25 May 1878
1878 Edith Kidman - Notice to creditors - Luton Times and Advertiser 5 Jul 1878
1879 George Kidman - of Lower Farm, Edworth; auction - Bedfordshire Mercury 6 Sep 1879
1879 George Kidman - of Lower Farm, Edworth; auction - Cambridge Independent Press 06 Sep 1879
1887 George Ryden Kidman - son of James, marriage to Carrie Roberts - Northampton Mercury 12 Feb 1887
1904 Percy Charles Kidman - Marriage to Gertrude Partridge - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 07 Oct 1904
1904 Percy Kidman - Given clock on occasion of his marriage - Biggleswade Chronicle 30 Sep 1904
1913 Hugh Kidman - Airship descent at West Sunderland farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 24 Oct1913
1913 James Kidman - Notice of resignation as guardian of Dunton - Biggleswade Chronicle 14 Mar 1913
1916 Dessie Kidman - Marriage to J Harold Thompson - Biggleswade Chronicle 29 Dec 1916
1916 James Edward Percy Kidman - of Sunderland Farm; military exemption - Biggleswade Chronicle 07 Apr 1916
1916 Joe Kidman - son of James, of Dunton, welcomed home - Biggleswade Chronicle 08 Dec 1916
1916 Percy Kidman - Donation to PoW fund - Biggleswade Chronicle 10 Nov 1916
1918 George Kidman - Pte, Death, son of J J Kidman of Newton Farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 06 Dec 1918
1918 James J Kidman - Occupant of Newton Farm, up for auction - Biggleswade Chronicle 21 Jun 1918
1920 James Julian Kidman - Funeral - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 16 Apr 1920
1920 Percy Kidman - Horse killed by lightning - Biggleswade Chronicle 18 Jun 1920
1929 Percy Kidman - Large fire destroys motor buses - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 15 Mar 1929
1929 Percy Kidman - Claim for damages - Biggleswade Chronicle 31 May 1929
1929 Stanley Partridge Kidman - marriage to Barbara Wright - Biggleswade Chronicle 07 Jun 1929
1932 Percy Kidman - Fire started by lightning at Sunderland farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 12 Aug 1932
1944 P C Kidman - Death; of Gamlingay - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 29 Dec 1944
1945 Percy Charles Kidman - Funeral, Biggleswade - Biggleswade Chronicle 05 Jan 1945
1945 Percy Charles Kidman - Will; of Gamlingay, late of Sunderland Farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 30 Mar 1945
1953 Gertrude Kidman - Death - Biggleswade Chronicle 17 Jul 1953

On a cheerier note, and slightly off topic, you'll note Decima's marriage made the newspapers...

Biggleswade Chronicle
29 Dec 1916
Attraction Wedding at Dunton
Marriage of Miss Dessie Kidman

Considerable attraction was evoked in the village on Wednesday at noon, for Duntion Parish Church was the scene of one of the smartest and prettiest weddings ever held in the village of Dunton. The bride has been very popular in the village and a large congregation and many guests were present at the service, which was conducted by Canon F. E. Mullet M.A. (vicar). The organist and choir were present and appropriate music was heartily sung.

The bride was Miss Dessie O. Kidman the younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Jas. J. Kidman, of Newton Grove Farm, Dunton, and the bridegroom was Mr J. Harold Thompson. Mr Kidman gave away his daughter, who looked charming in a white dress and bridal veil, with wreath of orange blossom. Miss Green, of Kingswalden Villa?, Biggleswade, friend of the bride, was the bridesmaid. After the ceremony had been performed, and the register signed, Mr Maurice Chamberlain, the organist, played in excellent style "The Wedding March". The guests were motored to the village schoolroom, which was tastefully decorated for the attended reception. The health of the young couple was heartily drunk, and they had a great send off when they stepped into their motor car en route for Biggleswade station to catch the 5.4 train for London, where part of the honeymoon is being spent. The presents were a choice and valuable collection.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 March 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Your best option would be to read the articles in the British Newspaper Archives, either directly or via FindMyPast; both have free trials or maybe your local library has a subscription.

Skimming through newspapers for Kidmans (just on your direct line) I came across various items, below are some of the more interesting ones. If you branch out from I expect you'll find numerous other items.

1843 Thomas Kidman - Deceased, of Streatley - Cambridge Independent Press 30 Dec 1843
1867 George Kidman - Auction of property - Bedfordshire Mercury 14 Sep 1867
1867 George Kidman - Notice to creditors - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 17 Sep 1867
1874 Bethiah Donne (Kidman) - Found drowned - Bedfordshire Mercury 11 Apr 1874
1875 James Kidman - of Dunton, found body of child in well - Bedfordshire Mercury 20 Mar 1875
1878 Edith Kidman - Auction of property - Cambridge Independent 25 May 1878
1878 Edith Kidman - Notice to creditors - Luton Times and Advertiser 5 Jul 1878
1879 George Kidman - of Lower Farm, Edworth; auction - Bedfordshire Mercury 6 Sep 1879
1879 George Kidman - of Lower Farm, Edworth; auction - Cambridge Independent Press 06 Sep 1879
1887 George Ryden Kidman - son of James, marriage to Carrie Roberts - Northampton Mercury 12 Feb 1887
1904 Percy Charles Kidman - Marriage to Gertrude Partridge - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 07 Oct 1904
1904 Percy Kidman - Given clock on occasion of his marriage - Biggleswade Chronicle 30 Sep 1904
1913 Hugh Kidman - Airship descent at West Sunderland farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 24 Oct1913
1913 James Kidman - Notice of resignation as guardian of Dunton - Biggleswade Chronicle 14 Mar 1913
1916 Dessie Kidman - Marriage to J Harold Thompson - Biggleswade Chronicle 29 Dec 1916
1916 James Edward Percy Kidman - of Sunderland Farm; military exemption - Biggleswade Chronicle 07 Apr 1916
1916 Joe Kidman - son of James, of Dunton, welcomed home - Biggleswade Chronicle 08 Dec 1916
1916 Percy Kidman - Donation to PoW fund - Biggleswade Chronicle 10 Nov 1916
1918 George Kidman - Pte, Death, son of J J Kidman of Newton Farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 06 Dec 1918
1918 James J Kidman - Occupant of Newton Farm, up for auction - Biggleswade Chronicle 21 Jun 1918
1920 James Julian Kidman - Funeral - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 16 Apr 1920
1920 Percy Kidman - Horse killed by lightning - Biggleswade Chronicle 18 Jun 1920
1929 Percy Kidman - Large fire destroys motor buses - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 15 Mar 1929
1929 Percy Kidman - Claim for damages - Biggleswade Chronicle 31 May 1929
1929 Stanley Partridge Kidman - marriage to Barbara Wright - Biggleswade Chronicle 07 Jun 1929
1932 Percy Kidman - Fire started by lightning at Sunderland farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 12 Aug 1932
1944 P C Kidman - Death; of Gamlingay - Bedfordshire Times and Independent 29 Dec 1944
1945 Percy Charles Kidman - Funeral, Biggleswade - Biggleswade Chronicle 05 Jan 1945
1945 Percy Charles Kidman - Will; of Gamlingay, late of Sunderland Farm - Biggleswade Chronicle 30 Mar 1945
1953 Gertrude Kidman - Death - Biggleswade Chronicle 17 Jul 1953

On a cheerier note, and slightly off topic, you'll note Decima's marriage made the newspapers...

Biggleswade Chronicle
29 Dec 1916
Attraction Wedding at Dunton
Marriage of Miss Dessie Kidman

Considerable attraction was evoked in the village on Wednesday at noon, for Duntion Parish Church was the scene of one of the smartest and prettiest weddings ever held in the village of Dunton. The bride has been very popular in the village and a large congregation and many guests were present at the service, which was conducted by Canon F. E. Mullet M.A. (vicar). The organist and choir were present and appropriate music was heartily sung.

The bride was Miss Dessie O. Kidman the younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Jas. J. Kidman, of Newton Grove Farm, Dunton, and the bridegroom was Mr J. Harold Thompson. Mr Kidman gave away his daughter, who looked charming in a white dress and bridal veil, with wreath of orange blossom. Miss Green, of Kingswalden Villa?, Biggleswade, friend of the bride, was the bridesmaid. After the ceremony had been performed, and the register signed, Mr Maurice Chamberlain, the organist, played in excellent style "The Wedding March". The guests were motored to the village schoolroom, which was tastefully decorated for the attended reception. The health of the young couple was heartily drunk, and they had a great send off when they stepped into their motor car en route for Biggleswade station to catch the 5.4 train for London, where part of the honeymoon is being spent. The presents were a choice and valuable collection.

I am not sure whether the library has Find My Past, but worth looking into. Found the newspapers snippets interesting most of which I didn't know about.

This has cheered me up from the Biggleswade Chronicle 29 Dec 1916

Attraction Wedding at Dunton Marriage of Miss Dessie Kidman. Thank you so much for that.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 26 March 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
 cuffie81,

I have read the full lengthy and most detailed story in the Bedfordshire Mercury April 11 1874.

There is a part with Edward KIDMAN of Endworth stating to be Bethia's brother -in-law.
Mr KIDMAN also said it was the trouble with her late husband that put her out.

Could you tell me who the Edward KIDMAN might be(a brother-in-law with the name Kidman)?
Also, he states it was the trouble with her late husband that put her out  - that would be George WATERS and was 5 years before she re-married. Or, do you think he was referring to her husband Charles DONNE

Just curious

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 March 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
johnP-bedford

Have contacted theBedfordshire Archives regarding cemetery records. Thank you.

cupcake

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 March 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have read the full lengthy and most detailed story in the Bedfordshire Mercury April 11 1874.

This article also mentions ....a brooch engraved 'In memory of Isabella Edith Kidman, 1858'.

This most likely is the Isabel Edith Kidman baptised Barton in 1834 & on 1841 census is age 7 at home in Edworth with parents George & Edith & sister Bethia age 3; & who died in March qtr 1858 Biggleswade RD age 23   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 March 18 10:37 BST (UK) »

This article also mentions ....a brooch engraved 'In memory of Isabella Edith Kidman, 1858'.

This most likely is the Isabel Edith Kidman baptised Barton in 1834 & on 1841 census is age 7 at home in Edworth with parents George & Edith & sister Bethia age 3; & who died in March qtr 1858 Biggleswade RD age 23   

I did read this and thought Isabella Edith Kidman could be her sister. However, I didn't realise she had died in 1858 at the young age of 23yrs.

Who is the Edward KIDMAN?

ADD.

Looking at Family Search Family Group there is a Emma KIDMAN married to a Edward KIDMAN 15 March 1849, Biggleswade -this could be the Edward. Emma died the same year as her sister, Bethia 1874.
Appears they all died under the age of 50.