Author Topic: 1851 census lookup request: William Jones  (Read 624 times)

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 census lookup request: William Jones
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Is there a kind person out there who could do a look up in the 1851 census for me.

The snag is it is a very common name and I know nothing about his early life or parents.

It is William Jones, who would be aged about 17.  He was born in Dawley, and I would think probably still there at that age.  He later married and was in Walsall in 1861.  He was later described as a blacksmith and an engine smith.

I appreciate there may be several William Jones's.  On the subsequent censuses he was aged, 27,37 and 47 respectively, so I'm sure he was born around 1834.

Thank you if you can search for me  :-* :-*

Diane

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census lookup request: William Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane,

Doesn't his marriage certificate give his parents names? If you haven't got a copy, this is the way to go, as I have census, births and marriages for the Dawley area and there are lot's of possible matches. What is his wifes name I might be able to find his marriage

If you have any brothers or sisters this will also narrow down the search.

Between Oct 1832 and Sept 1833 there are 5 William Jones born Dawley, so too much of a lucky dip! I don't have any however for 1836, but I'm not sure what date the baptisms go up to, so that doesn't mean there isn't any.

Please get back to me if you any other info that will help.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census lookup request: William Jones
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Thanks for replying.   I'm afraid I have very little information, and I'm hampered by the common names.   

I have never been able to find his marriage on the freebmd and 1837 sites.

I have the birth certificates of his daughters.  On one it says of mother : Ann Jones, late Smith, formerly Owen.  On the other it just says formerly Owen.  (You can see what I mean about the common names!)  If I could find the marriage it would definitely give me his father's name, and more info about Ann.

On the later censuses it says that Ann is also from Dawley and the same age as William.  I would think they probably married there, but maybe they married in Walsall.

If you can find out anything I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Diane