Author Topic: Burial Records  (Read 712 times)

Offline dreamer33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Records
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, quick question here. I still live in the area that most of my ancestors were born in. I’d love to find out where some of them were buried! How would I go about that? I have the parish they were born in so would it be through parish records????
Also I’m finding in a 1911 census my family is listed as having so many children but so many have died, I can’t find birth/death certificates for some. Would every birth of had a certificate even if still born??? Thankyou.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
The registration of stillbirths began on 1 July 1927. (Births and Deaths Act 1926)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dreamer33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
The registration of stillbirths began on 1 July 1927. (Births and Deaths Act 1926)

Stan

Brilliant thanks Stan.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 asks 'Children born alive to the present marriage' so would not include stillbirths

If I still lived in the area local to where my family came from I would be walking around graveyards to see if there were any memorial stones for any of them  ;D

Have you tried searching the GRO index for births using surname and mothers maiden surname
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 asks 'Children born alive to the present marriage' so would not include stillbirths

If I still lived in the area local to where my family came from I would be walking around graveyards to see if there were any memorial stones for any of them.

Have you tried searching the GRO index for births using surname and mothers maiden surname
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

The GRO website is the best way to get names and years.  Also check it for deaths - they give the age in years which is helpful.  It is possible to find a death registered without a corresponding registration of birth if the infant died very young.

The next step would be burial registers or parish records.  Bear in mind that many families could not afford gravestones and over the years some graves have been relocated or re-used so it may not be possible to find the precise spot.  If a grave was marked it might be possible to find it on sites such as findagrave or billiongraves.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Burials may also have taken place in Municipal Cemeteries, when you have found dates of deaths, if burials don't show up in Parish Records then try the Bereavement departments of the local authorities.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, quick question here. I still live in the area that most of my ancestors were born in. I’d love to find out where some of them were buried! How would I go about that? I have the parish they were born in so would it be through parish records????
Also I’m finding in a 1911 census my family is listed as having so many children but so many have died, I can’t find birth/death certificates for some. Would every birth of had a certificate even if still born??? Thankyou.

As Stan mentioned civil registration of stillbirths began in 1927 in England and Wales, however stillbirths were often registered in the Parish Register of Burials for hundreds of years before that, certainly since 1550.

The registration of every child born or buried (except those whose parents received alms) was in certain years required due to taxes or levies which had to be paid (such as for five years from 1695 and again for a number of years from 1783 with the exception “of the Burial of any Person who shall be buried from any Workhouse or Hospital, or at the sole Expense of any Charity ; nor the Entry in any Parish Register of the Birth or Christening of any Child whose Parents shall receive, at the Time of the Birth and Christening of such Child, any Parish Relief”.

This in effect the registration of some stillbirth (not all may be found in parish registers (mainly burial registers but also sometimes in birth registers) from at least 1550.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.