Author Topic: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa  (Read 3883 times)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Just in, a reply from The Treasure House in Beverley.
Unfortunately the bottom line is that they cannot find any information that will pinpoint the location of the plot of land.

"Dear Stephen

Thank you for your enquiry.

We hold a transcript of the Kilham enclosure award of 1773 which lists Foord Newton as being allotted five pieces of land of the following acreages.

24 acres 16 perches
21 acres 35 perches
52 acres 3 roods 9 perches
170 acres 2 roods 7 perches
21 acres 3 roods 14 perches

There are also two areas of land in the centre of the village on the enclosure plan, with the name Newton on but no acreages which are possibly areas of ancient enclosure not mentioned in the 1773 award.

The only reference to the surname Lamplugh was for one piece of land with the following acreage to Jane Lamplugh

7 acres 3 roods 10 perches

I could find no apparent mention of a John Pinder or an 127 acre plot owned by a William Lamplugh.

We do hold a copy of a tithe plan for 1844 but it appears to be for land owned by Beaumont Hotham in the occupation of James Hall, no other names are listed and it only covers part of Kilham.

The Land Tax assessments for Kilham 1783, 1787-1798, 1800-30, 1832 refer to the Newtons as owning land and John Pinder occupying it at various points, the sum of assessment only changes once and then remains constant, showing it to be the same land.

In 1783 John Pinder occupies land owned by the Reverend James Rudd for which the assessment sum is 9 shillings, the executors of Foord Newton have land occupied by Christopher Lamplough for which the assessment sum is 18 shillings.

By 1787 Isaac Newton is the owner and John Pinder the occupier, with the assessment sum of 18 shillings. This stays the same in 1788. From 1789 through to 1801 Isaac Newton and John Pinder are listed with an assessment sum of £1.4s.7d.

In 1802 the heirs of Isaac Newton and John are listed and from 1803-1816 Mrs Newton and John. From 1818-1820 Robert Newton is listed and John has disappeared. John reappears  between 1822 and 1825.

In 1821 and from 1826-1830 Robert Newton is listed with George Hardy as an occupier. The assessment rate has stayed at £1.4s.7d.

Unfortunately this Land Tax does not list the acreages of the land being assessed. It appears to show father and sons occupation periods, but unfortunately we do not have a plan which identifies the plot.

I hope this is of some help and interest.

Kind regards"