Author Topic: Irish Guardsman  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Guardsman
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I shall be very grateful if someone could colour and straighten the attached photograph of my late father-in-law, who served with the Irish Guards from 1945 - 1953, in Palestine, Libya and Germany.  I am sure that it was the photographer who was at a slight angle, not the guardsman.

And can somebody explain the type of uniform?

Thank you

Kevin (now in Chester)
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Guardsman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
My try

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
His uniform is his dress uniform. Notice the 4 button sequence which tells you he's an Irish Guardsman without seeing the collar dogs.
The uniform is red.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
His uniform is his dress uniform. Notice the 4 button sequence which tells you he's an Irish Guardsman without seeing the collar dogs.
The uniform is red.

Thanks for telling these valuable information ...But I do not  know why color algorithm showing blue indication ..any way I will leave changing color to other colleagues here

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you loord74 for the work on the colour and the straightening.  Sadly there is no one still living that can confirm the colour of the uniform, but we had assumed red.  I would be grateful if others could consider and colour too.

And thank you Jim1 for the confirmation of the type of uniform and the button configuration.  I think my wife and her brothers learned to count by remembering the numbers of buttons on the different uniforms of guardsmen, while marching up and down the garden path with a broomstick over their shoulders.

Kevin (now in Chester)
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,  Here is one from me.
Pat

Rami, I have noticed you have used the Algorithmia programme on quite a few of your colour posts and as on this one the colours are limited. I think it is an American programme which is why the colour of the uniform is not correct, but as you cannot choose the colours used and it only takes less than a minute, there's not much can be done about it.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 18 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,  Here is one from me.
Pat

Rami, I have noticed you have used the Algorithmia programme on quite a few of your colour posts and as on this one the colours are limited. I think it is an American programme which is why the colour of the uniform is not correct, but as you cannot choose the colours used and it only takes less than a minute, there's not much can be done about it.

Pat....Color algorithmic is a built in technique came with few filters used in some (photo programs) Im using to do restoration , for me im using it as an indicator in rare cases where Im confused in selecting colors especially with official uniforms..algorithm is a well known practice widely used in colorizing many documentary movies like (WW2 ), personally Im spending hours some times to do restoration just for self enjoyment .   

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Pat and Rami for the colouring.  I have no understanding of the "magic" involved in bringing the colours out from seventy-year old black and white photographs, but your efforts are much appreciated.

If I haven't taken too much of your time already, could I ask Rami to add red to the uniform instead of the blue?  And Pat something seems to have gone awry with the Guardsman's feet! 

I hope to present framed versions of the "coloured" photographs to the family of the soldier who is fondly remembered by his four children and their spouses, eight grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Thank you both once again.  I have much respect for your special talents.

Kevin (now in Chester)

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Based on Pat color output