Author Topic: Ellen / Helen Bain  (Read 13368 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen / Helen Bain
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 11 August 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
The illegitimate birth of Barbara Helen Smith, mother was a Janet Leslie.
Monica, I think this Janet might be one of mine. Can you tell me anything else about her?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 11 August 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

I didn't do any further searches on who Janet Leslie was unfortunately. She came up as you can see as the mother of a Barbara Helen Smith, with some of the similar names we were looking for re Helen Bain.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 11 August 19 16:00 BST (UK) »
I didn't do any further searches on who Janet Leslie was unfortunately. She came up as you can see as the mother of a Barbara Helen Smith, with some of the similar names we were looking for re Helen Bain.
I wondered if you had viewed the birth certificate and might be able to tell me the address where Barbara was born, and her DoB.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aymnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 11 August 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mrmac , found this   When Gladys Davidson Bain was born on April 26, 1915, her mother, Jane, was 21. She married William Henry McSteen in 1943 in Croydon, Surrey, England. They had two children during their marriage. She died on July 23, 1996, in Croydon, Surrey, England, at the age of 81. it appears that Ellen Bain was your great grandmother  ,William Tennant was your great uncle ,John Myron (Bain ) my father, was your great uncle and Janet Bain your grandmother  , we are second  cousins and Kirsty would be third cousin.

Offline aymnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 11 August 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
When Jane 'Jeanie' Wallace Bain was born on December 18, 1893, her mother, Ellen, was 21. She had one daughter in 1915. She died on November 11, 1964, at the age of 70.
Family Relationships
Children

Gladys Davidson Bain

Jane 'Jeanie' Wallace Bain
Parents
Unknown Father
Ellen 'Hellen' 'Nellie'

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 11 August 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Alan, you and mrmac are first cousins once removed, and Kirsty and mrmac are first cousins twice removed, not third cousins.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian I had a few spare credits for SP so I have attached the birth for Barbara Helen Smith.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline aymnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks forfarian ,it gets a bit confusing about cousins ,the whole saga about the Bain family was a complete surprise to me, I had no ,or very little , knowledge about my Fathers family ,all I knew was that he had an brother and a sister nothing about Ellen and her children born out of wedlock , oh well thats life who are we to judge ,thanks again...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 12 August 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Dorrie.

If that address is 57 Balvenie Street, it clinches the identification of Janet Leslie with the one in my tree, so that's another twig to add.