Author Topic: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication
« Reply #36 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Before I  found my niche in information technology I worked as a barman 40 years ago . It seemed so easy then to be able to add up six or   eight drinks while trying to enjoy your own drink at the same time.  Now the tills have a button for each drink. And they calculate the change.

Martin
Snap. In those days working in a bar was the best way to learn mental arithmetic. You learned very very quickly if you wanted to stay in the job.

My dad always reckoned that £sd was easier for mental arithmetic because you could divide a pound into thirds as well as halves and quarters.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
One thing to remember is that mathematics and arithmetic are not the same thing.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
.... and I panic at both of them!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Arithmetic is essential, but mathematics is fun. My one reservation is 40 years ago, studying calculus for A level,  and it something  something which I've never needed to use in my professional life.  (Especially these days as 'rate of deterioration'  is something I do not wish to know about.)

Martin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Arithmetic + maths used to add up to the same thing to me = Terror!!

I once volunteered for a short-term Christian project in my area raising money for charity in a little cafe. 

I expected just to work in the kitchen which was fine by me.  Then someone decided to let me loose on the till.  My Pastor came in and sat down for a meal.  After, he had paid me I somehow managed to hand over too much change which he immediately handed back. 

I felt quite embarrassed that instead of raising money I was inadvertently caught in the act of giving this away. ::). He took this in good part though. 

I probably wouldn't last a full shift in a pub though and I would never work in a bank - even if they would have me.  I can just picture myself getting arrested!!  :o :o

Maybe my numeracy fears haven't quite gone after all. ... all these fearful scenarios I am conjuring up now!! :o ;D

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed  all branches of Maths but my favourite was Algebra. it seemed so pure and logical  ;D

In the primary school that I went to we had 15 mins of mental arithmetic each morning before prayers (it was C of E- only one in the village) and 15 mins of spelling before going home time.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
Arithmetic is essential, but mathematics is fun. My one reservation is 40 years ago, studying calculus for A level,  and it something  something which I've never needed to use in my professional life.  (Especially these days as 'rate of deterioration'  is something I do not wish to know about.)

Martin

My introduction to calculus was 50yrs ago at college for my ONC Engineering. Differentiation was relatively easy but the opposite 'Integration', now that I was never any good at.

Probably explains why I'm still a bachelor!  ;D ;D ;D

EDIT; and no! I can't recall ever using it outside the class room either.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 March 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
I'm so glad you've overcome your phobia RiverTyneLass. Im fortunate in that I enjoyed (basic, GCE 'O' level) maths & algebra and I've prided myself on my mental arithmetic, and even fractions and ratios, but this £sd problem really flummoxed me. (and to think I was brought up on £sd). It was taxing me so much that I was wasting time on it, and then recalled my father's advice - an 'expert'* is someone who knows where to find the information, not necessarily to 'know' it yourself, which is when I turned to RootChat in the certain knowledge that someone out there would help me.

I am writing a book based around wartime letters (WW2) and in one letter the writer (my uncle, a conscript soldier in REME) said that there was probably not much difference between 1st and 3rd class rail travel. The National Rail Museum provided information about the fare scales/100 miles (the two figures I began this thread about) - I am so grateful to the people who have worked this out for me. You've saved me a lot of angst! And I have very much enjoyed the thread of responses. Thank you all

[* another definition of 'expert' is that an 'ex' is a has-been, and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure! I prefer my Dad's definition!]
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 March 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind comment, Brewins girl.  I am glad to read that others on here had a much better experience with maths/arithmetic than I did when growing up.

I would write about the experiences I had at school which led to my becoming maths phobic but this would probably just come across as another form of 'mis lit' and there is probably enough of that in the bookshops  already.  ;)

I wish you success with your new book.  :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner