Author Topic: QARANC look up please.  (Read 506 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
QARANC look up please.
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Can somebody do me a great favour? I am not on the Forces War Records website - and I am not entirely sure if the information I am after is contained on it. My mother was in the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps between approximately 1955 - 1960. She served in Malaya during the 'emergency' and I  have her medal that she was awarded. I am trying to find records relating to her. My mother's name then was Ishobel McAlpine Stewart. She was born in November of 1932 in Argyll, Scotland and was a Lieutenant and then a Captain in the QARANC. I have a great many wonderful photos of her from her time in Malaya/Singapore. I would just like some more service details to complete my research. I am aware of the fact  that by calling the conflict an emergency it meant that it allowed the government of the day to declare that it was not a war in the technical sense of the word. Therefore it may be that there are no relevant records to view on the Forces War Record website. That being the case does anybody have any ideas where  else  I can look for the records. I would be grateful for any assistance.

Regards

Doddie

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: QARANC look up please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
This might help:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-nurses/

Copies of service records are free for the person or their spouse; cost £30 for others.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: QARANC look up please.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi nanny jan, thank you for your prompt result. Will check this out.

Regards

Doddie