Author Topic: Gravestone Topic=The Gravestone Store  (Read 38615 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do we need a Gravestone board?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi I've been thinking I don't think Rootschat would give us board,but if the moderator sees it's potential.He might sticky it in the common room (Where it is available to all counties)Then someone can rename it. We might as well stay on here. Not Myself because as i said i have addopted a cemetery But i can put my topic address on it. And be on hand with any advice.

Jim I love doing that it gives me great satisfaction to email photo's of Headstones.To the G .Grandchildren who live abroad,They also find other family mentioned as well.

Pat how do you do sluething on the net for burials.Never knew you could do that.
 If i ever find out when my G,Grandfather died in Cannock.After 1901. That will be my first request .I am sure he must be dead by now he was born in 1836 ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 August 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
I have checked out some graves at my local churcyard and sent photographs to a few people.

So I would also agree with your idea Celia.

Caroline :)

Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 August 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya
I live in North West Norfolk and am quite happy to traipse the churchyards of the villages near (and not so near) Kings Lynn and in and around Wisbech in Cambs
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 August 05 22:42 BST (UK) »
What a wonderfull responce from all you lovely people. willing to start a new Hobby of cemetery stomping(but it does get you out in the fresh air and keep you fit,as you might find out.
We now have Offers from Australia,America,Ireland,Scotland,
Fantastic. Just put the cemeteries you are willing to do.
I would like to give you a tip though.It will be up to you of course what you do,but  you may be  asked to look in a cemetery, Church or council, for someone that might be buried there. You understand ???

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 August 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia
But isn't that part of the fun?
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 August 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
I think it's an excellent idea- I travelled about ten miles a couple of months ago to take a photo of a grave and a church to send to a lady in Canada.  She was so happy and with the help of digital cameras it's not much of an effort take quick snap.  And I'm sure I read the other day that Rootschat has 200000 billion, trillion  members (or something like that)  -  and as the whole vibe of rootschat is to help - I betcha loads of rootschaters will be wandering around gravesites with a camera and pen and paper - Oh my God - We are the new train spotters!  - PLEASE JUST PUT THE ANORAK DOWN!
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 August 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wheeldon
Just had an awful thought after reading your posting!
Can you imagine someone accessing rootschat by chance, someone who has no idea of the addiction this hobby can cause, they'd probably read the boards (especially this one) and think we are all sad,anorak people with nothing better to do than trudge churchyards on dank Sunday afternoons!
But the scariest thingis...................
They would most probably be (almost) right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think I might change my hobby
Anne

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 August 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I think it's a great idea.  If anyone needs pictures from Southern Ontario, Canada, count me in.  I recently went to a cemetery for a fellow rootschatter and took pictures of his grandfather's grave and the houses where they lived.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 August 05 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Look ups in your local graveyards is a wonderful generous offer and is the very heart and spirit of Rootschat  ;D

Thank you all.

The suggestion for a board devoted to graveyards has been discussed in the past and the decision was taken (after much discussion) that it was most approriate to keep this in the counties.

If a user who is interested in a graveyard in Liverpool and wonders if another user lives near Smithdown road cemetery I think the first place they would look would be on the Lancashire Board. 

It is the most logical place to ask for a search. 

BUT it may not be the most logical place for you to check the board if you don't have ancestors where you now live.

If you would like to make such a generous offer I would suggest offering in the county boards.

I find graves the most exciting part of this hobby it is teh closest we get to our ancestors - in fact it's about 6ft  ;D

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!