Author Topic: Wedding Details - James Powell & Esther Mayberry 1804  (Read 1667 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Details - James Powell & Esther Mayberry 1804
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
I've checked the Chapel Hill registers & there would appear to be only James Powell around at that time, so who would that burial be in 1824 other than the husband of Esther?

The parish register has the entry for Esther & James burials bracketed together (25 May & 10 June 1824) which is an unusual thing to show on parish registers but as there were no other burials between them it looks as though the Minister is trying to indicate they were a couple.  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my question 'Where do you have his place of birth as Newton, Montgomeryshire'  -  I meant where on the records of James Powell who was in Chapel Hill did it indicate he was born in Montgomeryshire.  As Osprey has indicated it is more likely to be James who was living in a neighbouring parish, unless of course you have evidence to the contrary.

I've checked the Chapel Hill registers & there would appear to be only James Powell around at that time, so who would that burial be in 1824 other than the husband of Esther?

I don't understand why with this family in Chapel Hill, Monmouthshire you are looking at records from Montgomeryshire, about 90 miles away or so.

???

I am beginning to think I have made a 'rookie' linked in record mistake. I am building my tree from use of Family Search, WikiTree and occasionally Ancestry (when free). When searching for James Powells records through Family Search, I believe I pulled a Christening record for James Powell March 1777 Newton, Montgomeryshire, Wales - added it to the 'created' father of Edward Powell (1814) and returned a different day with time, to expand. Thus I may then have located Birth and subsequent death in Montgomeryshire of this James Powell.

I appear therefore to have morphed the wrong James Powell to the tree. Certainly my ancestor was a James Powell re Edward Birth Record (with mother Esther).

Osprey - I will work on the details you feel more likely (which make sense) and see if I can progress.

Thank you both, to this point, as I am learning from your experienced senses with searching :)
Loughglinn Ireland : Duffy (Paternal Line)
London: Baylis(s), Maynard, Dutton, Smith, Ward, Garner, Down
Brighton: Galliers, Hilton
Devon (Moretonhampstead): Dingle, Smale
Essex (North): Garrad, Hull, Bishop, Partridge, Pepper
Manchester: Duffy, Hawthorn(e), Holyoak(e)
Shropshire Wellington: Vaughan, Foreman
Suffolk: Partridge, Minter
Wales (Monmouthshire): Powell, Mayber(r)y

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:23 BST (UK) »

The parish register has the entry for Esther & James burials bracketed together (25 May & 10 June 1824) which is an unusual thing to show on parish registers but as there were no other burials between them it looks as though the Minister is trying to indicate they were a couple.  :-\

I certainly had Esther died 1824 so it links in that respect. Does the register show a son's death earlier in the same year as have a William Powell 1823-1824 in their children. It may well be they all died from the same reason ? ie Illness/Fire etc (but just guessing now :) )

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
As you said, Edward Powells baptism in 1814 confirms his parents as James & Esther. It also states his fathers occupation as Forgeman which ties in with James occupation on his marriage to Esther  :)

Burial for William Powell age 7 months 18th February 1824.  Baptism for William Powell July 20th 1823 parents James & Hester fathers occ Forgeman

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
As you said, Edward Powells baptism in 1814 confirms his parents as James & Esther. It also states his fathers occupation as Forgeman which ties in with James occupation on his marriage to Esther  :)

Burial for William Powell age 7 months 18th February 1824.  Baptism for William Powell July 20th 1823 parents James & Hester fathers occ Forgeman

Its beginning to link :).

I will remove the wrong James and review/replace with the one Osprey comments as more sense. Thank you for Williams specific details. On most of the childrens baptism records, parents are listed as James & 'Hester' - but took that to be 'James & Esther'.

If indeed their last child died Feb 1824, Esther May 1824 & James June 1824 then firstly very sad, and secondly its too much of a coincidence. It would be interesting at some stage to know how to find out.

This 'new' James may enable me to continue the line of Powells :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Esther/Hester - it will only have been written as it was heard.  :)

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Esther/Hester - it will only have been written as it was heard.  :)

Yes :). Took me a moment to convince myself it was right to add (even though wrong) but when another branch of my tree showed Hannah / Honara/o and I've ended up at the moment linking Anna it shows the madness I daresay I will have to get used to in early records keeping  ;)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Ann /Hannah etc also very common.  Then there are Molly's/Mary & Pollys/Margaret plus more. It is a learning curve  ;D   ;D