Author Topic: Locating Cemetery  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locating Cemetery
« on: Monday 02 April 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate which cemetery my mother is buried in back February 1965, I was 10 years old at the time and my father wouldn't allow myself and my younger brother to attend the funeral service.
At the time we were living at 14 Glanmorfa Terrace, Tremadoc, Wales.  I have been told that the cemetery was to the west of where we lived.
My mother's name is Catherine McAlister [formelry Jones] born 20 October 1926 and died 17 February 1965. 
Her mother's name is Icasius Jones [formerlly Williams] and her father's name is William Williams and he was a Police Officer at Tremadoc. 
My mum's parents were married 6 September 1922 and there address was 9 Market Square, Tremadoc.
I'm aware that mum had two brothers, Gwillym and Charles, unsure if there any more siblings, Charles died during World war II in Canada.
After mum died my father emigrated to Australia in May 1965, and this is where I still reside.
I would like to know where my mother is buried.  My youngest daughter is currently working and living in London and once I know which cemetery my mother is buried in my daughter can go and visit.  My daughter has already tried to locate but with no success, however she has been successful in finding the house where I lived.
I do have my mother's birth and death registration details.
Can somebody provide some guidance and advice on how I can find which cemetery my mother is buried in?
Also I would like to make contact with any descendants from my Mother's side of the family.
Regards
Bruce McAlister

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 05:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Another thread on the same subject may help http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=439578.0

Kay

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,
Thank you for your reply and information, I shall follow through on that.  Living in Queensland, Australia I have no idea in relation to where Bangor or Caernarfon are in respect to Tremadog or Pwll, as I don't have a map of that area, it is like a foreign language to me.
Again thank you for your assistance.
Regards
Bruce  :) :) :D

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
Try this map which does show the local area .     http://maps.nls.uk/view/101607216

The largest cemetery looks to be  Moel y Gest public cemetery but it  is too the south west of Tremadoc http://maps.nls.uk/view/101607216#zoom=4&lat=4033&lon=4416&layers=BT

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
You could contact the Gwynedd Family History Society  http://www.gwyneddfhs.co.uk/   They have a list of publications which includes memorial inscriptions http://www.gwyneddfhs.co.uk/publications.pdf

Kay

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was also confused in trying to find cemeteries in the area and put a post on Rootschat in Jan 2014 "Cemeteries around Portmadoc".

I had replies which assisted me and one from a local Rootschatter - EmyrBorth - who has lived in the area all his life, has a great deal of local knowledge, and was extremely helpful. I am sure if you were to send him a personal message he would do all he could to assist you.

I don't think you can send personal messages until you have made at least 3 posts but this should easily be within your grasp.

Hope this helps to get you an answer.

Alan

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
There seems to be be a few of us who have had difficulty finding the burial place of our relatives who lived in the Porthmadog area. From the description of the cemetery being West of Tremadog it sounds very much like the one where my Grandparents are buried. Emyrborth was a great help in me finding it. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779135.0
The cemetery is Bethel Cemetery, Golan. It is rather remote so if your daughter is visiting she will need transport.
Directions are leaving the roundabout near Tremadog take the A487 towards Caernarfon, about a mile or so past the village of Penmorfa there is a road on the right signed Cwmstraddlyn, after about another half mile the cemetery is on the left hand side.
I checked the MI's for Moel y Gest, Capel y Garth, St John, Capel Salem and St Mair Tremadog and there was no record of your mother's gravestone. As Tall Al suggested put another message up and then you can personal message Emyrborth since he has a lot more MI records.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kay,
Thank you very much for sending a copy of the map, greatly appreciated.  You have been a huge help.
Thank you.
 :) ;) :D