Author Topic: Jean Milne 1794 to ?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Milne 1794 to ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure about how I would get the Canadian death cert. but the one for Ann in 1910 I did decide to get it & it showed her as a former servant (single). Her parents were shown as George Kelman & Jane Mill both deceased. Strangely the informant was her son * Lawson of 456 Gairbraid road.
So this looks like a good match & now I have a bit more to go on when looking for the mortcloth details.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure about how I would get the Canadian death cert.
Ontario deaths 1869-1937 are at www.familysearch.org

the one for Ann in 1910 I did decide to get it & it showed her as a former servant (single). Her parents were shown as George Kelman & Jane Mill both deceased. Strangely the informant was her son * Lawson of 456 Gairbraid road.
Yes. Mill and Milne are interchangeable.

The 1915 valuation roll (on SP) lists James Lawson as the tenant of 456 Gairbraid Street, Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
The Margaret Milne who is with Jean Kelman (b abt 1831) in 1841 looks like she died in 1861 in Rhynie, aged 73 - there's a death registration with mother's maiden name Cumming (sic). This seems way too much of a coincidence for this Margaret not to have been another daughter of Alexander Milne and Christian Cummine - so perhaps a sister to your Jean Milne?

This Margaret Milne appears at Balhinney in 1851 (aged 61) and 1861 (aged 72), unmarried, born Rhynie.

There are two baptisms for a Margaret Milne to Alexander Milne and Christian Cuming/Cummine in Rhynie  - the first in 1789 and the second in 1791 - so we could assume that the first Margaret died.

I'm tempted to think that Jean Kelman, b 1831 was the illegitimate daughter of Margaret Milne and George Kelman - which would explain the absence of a marriage or baptism record...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 19:08 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian death certificate has blanks for her parents which is  shame but I think she is the correct person.
Margaret Milne could very well be the sister of Jean but I will investigate some more.
I have a theory which is slightly different as regarding the birth of Jean.
What if her Georges wife Jean Milne died in infancy & Jean born 1831 went to live with her Aunt Margaret who appears to be living next door in Bellhinie in 1841. That could also explain why Ann was not at home with her father in 1841 although she was a servant for the Meldrums also in Rhynie.
I am now tempted to contact "Old Scottish.com" & get them to do a search in the cash books for 1831 - 1835 & see if there is a record for a mortcloth hire.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian death certificate has blanks for her parents which is  shame but I think she is the correct person.
Oh dear:(

Have you found her marriage certificate?

I have a theory which is slightly different as regarding the birth of Jean.
What if her Georges wife Jean Milne died in infancy & Jean born 1831 went to live with her Aunt Margaret who appears to be living next door in Bellhinie in 1841.
Possible.

That could also explain why Ann was not at home with her father in 1841 although she was a servant for the Meldrums also in Rhynie.
I don't think you can read anything into a teenage girl working in another household. It was very common indeed for girls to go into service when they were in their early teens, initially quite near home but further away as they got older.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I did find the marriage cert. for Jane as shown earlier.
I also meant to say in my theory regarding Jean that if she went to live with her aunt when her mother died & was brought up by Margaret then she may have always thought of her as her mother & that is why it says Margaret on the marriage cert.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I did find the marriage cert. for Jane as shown earlier.
So you did. Apologies.

I also meant to say in my theory regarding Jean that if she went to live with her aunt when her mother died & was brought up by Margaret then she may have always thought of her as her mother & that is why it says Margaret on the marriage cert.
Possible. But then would she not have questioned why her father and Margaret weren't living as man and wife?

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »

The 1915 valuation roll (on SP) lists James Lawson as the tenant of 456 Gairbraid Street, Glasgow.

I think this is James Lawson. He looks to have been the illegitimate son of Ann Kelman and George Lawson, carpenter. Born in Rhynie about 1846. He’s with his grandfather, George Kelman, and his aunt, Christian Kelman in Keith in 1851:

Regent Street, Keith
Adam Beattie, 26, Head, Insch, Aberdeenshire
Christian Beattie, 27, wife, Rhynie, Aberdeenshire
George Maclean, 10, step-son, Rhynie, Aberdeenshire
Unnamed son, 1m, Keith, Banffshire
George Kelman, 62, Fa-law, Macduff, Banffshire
James Lawson, 5, boarder, Rhynie, Aberdeenshire

George Maclean is the same George Maclean that is with George Kelman and Christian Kelman in 1841 at Balhinney. Christian Kelman married Adam Beattie in 1850 in Rhynie.

Back to James Lawson, I can’t find him in 1861, but in 1864, he enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders, aged 18. He turns up again in the census in 1891 in Aberdeen, where he’s married to Jessie Forsyth, who he married in 1886 in Enzie, Banffshire - he was 40 and she was 23 - and two children, James and Jessie.

By 1901, the family are in Maryhill, and there are two more children, Elizabeth and Margaret. In 1911, they are at 456 Gairbraid St in Maryhill. There's a death for a James Lawson, 75, in Maryhill in 1920, which may well be him.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
This has certainly expanded quite a bit from my original enquiry trying to find a date of death for Jean Milne.
Now that I am sure the 2 daughters Ann & Jean are correct I have narrowed my search of the Rhynie cashbooks to the years 1831 - 1835 (5 year searches).
The 1851 census I only had the Ancestry transcription which is pretty abysmal (quite often). There was a reference to a James Pawson which I did not take a lot of notice about originally but it now makes sense.
Adam Beattie must have been a fairly generous person having his father in law & 2 illegitimate children living under the same roof.
Where can I get any information about Belhinney, Rhynie & Essie from do you know