Author Topic: Anyone else getting fed up with Ancestry 'hints'?  (Read 2526 times)

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Anyone else getting fed up with Ancestry 'hints'?
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Recently, when I've chosen 'hints' that appear to be from other family trees, they are not other trees, they are my own!!!!! 

Example - I've been given a hint for Mary Cunningham b1850 Glasgow (she moves to Gateshead by 1861 and Widnes by 1871) and it says "This hint compiles information from 10 other Public Ancestry Member Trees" The 'hints' are actually only 7, and from my own family tree and they are records that I have uploaded from Ancestry.

I know that there are other trees which have Mary, because I'm in contact with them, but they are no longer showing as options on the hint for family trees!

What's happening?  Do I need to reset parameters or something?

All advice appreciated.

Kit

EDIT:  Just noticed that when it offers me my own 'Private' tree to contact the owner, it asks me to sign in, although I already am!
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else getting fed up with Ancestry 'hints'?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
There's something 'up' with Ancestry at the moment - I'm being offered US subscriptions when I hit 'search' on people in my family tree - extremely annoying.
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
There's something 'up' with Ancestry at the moment - I'm being offered US subscriptions when I hit 'search' on people in my family tree - extremely annoying.

Same for me  ??? It also happened yesterday evening.

JJ

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Just my thoughts

1. I think they offer the US sub offer when they detect someone in your tree who has gone to America and they hope you may want to follow it up

2. Kit I think what is happening here is that you have people in your tree that you have not linked to the records Ancestry have and so their hints are remaining you they have these records and you can link them to your tree. If you don't want to see them just click on the "ignore" button and they go into the ignore zone which you can click on in the future to re-examine them. I think that's right, but you may want to get confirmation from someone else before you actually do it
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft,

It can't be that because Mary Cunningham is well researched and I have saved a number of census and other records via Ancestry.

Later, after my original post, where it offered me to 'sign in', although I already was .... when I did 'sign in' on that page, it brought up the usual other trees that I would have expected to see!

No idea what has been going on recently (this isn't my first disgruntled post about it).

thanks for your responses

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
I spent some time over Easter on Ancestry and I enjoyed it. Did wander around and have a look and looked at my trees. Checked out some hints and clicked on one or two to have a look. They were hints to information I already had and changing them over meant nothing.

I also added 1 American possibility and suddenly 800 more hints appeared. yeah nah not going to bother. I just added the person to link them to me. Unless I click through all of them , many duplicates of each other , I will never be rid of them.

I dont think its a bad feature , I think its a clunky feature that can get misused. The only thing I like is the ignore function , I want that for other records as well. Not just Ancestry but all sites.

eg 400 records of a person born between 1750-1765 and there are records I have seen and ignored before, records that are hundreds of miles from the birth of child records , records that I have no interest in .

But thats our lot when the bug bites
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
RuthieB I am getting that problem as well. I keep getting asked to join in $ when I am already signed in. I cannot get to see any new records :-\ Its been 3 days now. I have a worldwide subscription which is jolly expensive, so I do not expect this. If there are lots of us experiencing, you would hope they know it is happening. Where is the very cross and fustrated emogi when you need it !!  ;D
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Some of Ancestry's Hints are pathetic to be polite.

I has an email from them the other day saying one of my family trees was growing  8) but when I checked it out the new people were ones I had just added myself not from any other persons tree  :'(

Another thing that has been annoying me recently is coming out (not signing out) for a couple of minutes and being asked to sign back in  ??? It doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying  >:(

Lots of exasperating things happening with Ancestry at the moment.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 April 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen D,

I also have the Worldwide subscription, and it isn't cheap.

I've heard that if you don't re-subscibe, you will lose access to ALL the records that you have previously 'paid for' under your yearly, very expensive subscription.

I might get busy downloading the records that I have bought over a number of years.

Kit