Author Topic: Wayback Machine  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wayback Machine
« Reply #36 on: Friday 06 April 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
That bearcat got the same page when trying my link to the old Rootschat page as well as the other 2 links that I gave does suggest that it might well be malware - but on laptop and iphone is very strange  :-\

Not sure about the O2 link. I only use it for my phone but bearcat seems to use it for laptop too.

Hallmark - its been working all day for all of us except bearcat!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
That is not malware, it is the Internet Archive donate page https://archive.org/donate/ In the top left you should see a series of icons which let you search various  archives, such as the Web, Text, video etc.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
From what I can gather, bearcat, got the messages on both links and when she clicked on my link that was to an old Rootschat page*.  She got thrown out on one link. It's all documented in the previous posts.

*Added - this was one of the links tried  https://web.archive.org/web/20090221134630/http://rootschat.com/

None of the links that I gave earlier - and used by bearcat -  were to the donate page.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
A big thank you to everyone for their thoughts.  My daughter is coming today so will ask her to look for cookies etc.

Due to several recent house moves I only have mobile broadband (hence both phone and broadband being with O2).  Although I'm now settled, I'm stuck with the mobile broadband contract for a while. I feel this is an O2 problem.  The page asking me to prove that I'm over 18 and to have my credit card ready seems to come from O2.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried any sort of O2 support phone number? I can imagine they're  probably as bad as all ISPs for support but it's something to try.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 07 April 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I did check the site via my O2 phone and didn't get the message. Also, when I've had to deal with them, they've been very helpful.

Hope your daughter can sort it out.

Gadget

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
The page asking me to prove that I'm over 18 and to have my credit card ready seems to come from O2.

Sorry I didn't realise you were using mobile broadband on the laptop as well and I believe you are correct in attaching the blame to O2 - a couple of years ago when EE tightened up their internet protocols I was faced with a similar problem when I tried to access Rootschat on my phone - the choice was either provide credit card details or visit an EE shop to have my phone unlocked - I went to the nearest shop and it was unlocked in minutes (after my rant in their premises I'm not sure I'm welcomed back to that particular branch  ::) :-X  )

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
That is not malware, it is the Internet Archive donate page https://archive.org/donate/ In the top left you should see a series of icons which let you search various  archives, such as the Web, Text, video etc.

Stan

The donate page was provided as illustration of the ONLY correct page on the site which asked for money - it was not an illustration of potential malware rather it was to highlight the differences between what Bearkat was seeing and what others were. The page asking for credit card details would appear to be a construct from O2 who have blocked access to the site for some reason known only to them.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
The page asking for credit card details would appear to be a construct from O2 who have blocked access to the site for some reason known only to them.

As I said in my previous post, I tried accessing the site via O2 on my phone and it was perfectly OK