Author Topic: Catherine Oldenburg Princess of Norway and Denmark  (Read 9596 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Oldenburg Princess of Norway and Denmark
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
I too am wondering why a princess of Denmark would marry in Sedgley.
I found an article a while ago that said that Catherine was the illegitimate daughter of the king and one of the ladies in waiting of the court, Anne Hardenburg. Catherine was subsequently banished but no explanation of how she ended up in Sedgley.

Flattybasher mentioned Anne in reply #11.
What is the source of Catherine's death in Sedgeley?
Perhaps Catherine was in Britain as a lady-in-waiting to Queen Anne, daughter of King Frederick.
Who was Simon Leete, Catherien's 1st husband, according to My Heritage tree?
Who was John Turley of Sedgeley? Was he the sort of man who might have married a relative of the Danish royal family?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 October 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Who was Simon Leete, Catherien's 1st husband, according to My Heritage tree?

Simon or Symeon Leete of Eversden, Cambridgeshire, born 1573 is on several online trees.
Anc. FT has him alive 1573-1666 and married to Sophie, Queen of Denmark of Mecklenburg-gastrow (1557-1631)  ???
One on another website has his dates 1573-1655, son of Robert Leete & Alice Grundy (1523-1598). Source Anc. tree.
Family Search Simeon Leete 1573-1655, b. & d. Eversden, Cambridgeshire, parents Robert Leete & Alice Grundy (1545-1597).Married 1600 Eversden to Julia Downs (1573-1597)
WikiTree Simeon Grundy "Symeon" Leete 1573-1655. Son of Robert Leete. Married Agnes Pasley at Histon, Cambs. 1610. "May have had another wife." Source: The Eversden Branch of the family of Leete, printed 1906. There's a link to the source on Internet Archive. The printed tree on the source has no wife named for Simeon. It says he was a churchwarden.
There's information about Robert Leete, Simon's father on jeanie's genealogy. According to this, Robert was a university- educated man and land-holder.

Cowban

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 October 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm I have looked through all saints church Sedgley parish records 1558-1685 previously and although there are several Turley/Turly mentioned I cannot find any mention of a Catherine Turley either being married or buried, also looked through non com church and chapel records with the same result, so have rightly or wrongly concluded she is a 'pillenwerfer' however quite happy to nip over to Sedgley if proof exists..

Offline RockTurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative John Turley 1575-1661 lived in Sedgley, who appears to have married a Catherine Oldenburg Princess of Norway and Denmark 1580-1675 which leaves me wondering what was she doing in Sedgley where she is said to have died, any way I can prove either way maybe church records any advice appreciated..

Jibhauler

I too have this ancestor and have come across the same suggested marriage.  It doesn't appear to be a valid claim.  However, she may be a daughter-in-law of Frederick II as one of his sons did marry a Catherine who was widowed in 1624 and left desolate.  She remarried at least once.  For fun I'm following this line of discovery.  But, I don't expect to find much.  For reference her name was Catherine Hahn-Hinrichshagen.  She was from an old noble family of Hahn. If I learn anything interesting, I will share.  Again, I'm not expecting to find that she is my ancestor. 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Rock Turner.
Just read through the thread again. a bit of fun.
The extract you posted is probably copyright which isn't allowed on RootsChat. You can remove it by clicking "Modify" to edit your post. You can edit a post up to 24 hours of posting. After that time you have to ask a moderator to edit on your behalf.
Cowban

Offline RockTurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative John Turley 1575-1661 lived in Sedgley, who appears to have married a Catherine Oldenburg Princess of Norway and Denmark 1580-1675 which leaves me wondering what was she doing in Sedgley where she is said to have died, any way I can prove either way maybe church records any advice appreciated..

Jibhauler

I too have this ancestor and have come across the same suggested marriage.  It doesn't appear to be a valid claim.  However, she may be a daughter-in-law of Frederick II as one of his sons did marry a Catherine who was widowed in 1624 and left desolate.  She remarried at least once.  For fun I'm following this line of discovery.  But, I don't expect to find much.  For reference her name was Catherine Hahn-Hinrichshagen.  She was from an old noble family of Hahn. If I learn anything interesting, I will share.  Again, I'm not expecting to find that she is my ancestor.

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 November 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
My take on this thread is a) If an online tree claims their ancestor is Prince/princess of something then unless they are a Duke or Dutchess themselves they have some exlaining to do. b) if a document such as a parish record says Harry Smith married the Princess of Sweden in Walsall then I would still want more corroborative evidence to prove somebody back then wasn't telling fibs.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline jayone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 19:49 BST (UK) »
In my family tree, the  John Turley that married Princess Catherine Oxenburg was the father of John Turley that married Elizabeth Oakley. Catherine's mother was the second wife of the King and she was one of his youngest daughters. I think that the Turleys were fairly affluent so must have been reasonably well connected.