Author Topic: Kate,John and Minnie Kirton Gateshead.  (Read 2920 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kate,John and Minnie Kirton Gateshead.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 January 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
NoseyBoo emailed to check with Gateshead Registrars. Gave them the info from the death notice for Robert (date,address) and asked if they had the time to check the original register in case the GRO had misread/mistranscribed the entry from their copy.

The lady was very helpful (and amazingly quick) and has confirmed that the entry matches on date and address but the original register definitely says WOODHOUSE and that any cert applied for will be in that name

Can't explain why both Robert and Sarah's deaths were registered as Woodhouse, maybe it was one of those things were people got it wrong so often that they just went with the alternative :-)

Boo

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 January 23 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Can't thank you enough for the help on this and a good few enquiries over the year's Boo another superb
find and an ancestor found.Just been googling St Peter's so another visit to squeeze in when the weather's right \i'll follow up the 1939 register later what a strange lot they were Sarah ellen's mother is not in the
81 census her father Elijah Wayman died in Newcastle 1878 but is recorded as Edward.Sarah was a wardmistress in 1881 Edward and Alfred her brothers were in the industrial school in Newcastle as I say no
mother but she turns up in 1891 to 1911 in Gateshead my Grandmother and Grandfather by then living
with her.Sarah ellens brother Alfred was a Musician and was with her in the 1901 census Edward married
and had a family in Tynemouth.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 January 23 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Always pleased to help a little Steve, and the bonus is that I can extend my searching skills at the same time.

I think the most likely churchyard for Robert's burial would be St Mary's Heworth, I've made enquiries with contacts and hopefully will be able to confirm/deny that in a day or so.

I like it when it all pans out and we can get the necessary confirmation that gut feelings turn out to be right :-)
Boo

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 January 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Again many thank's Boo,I phoned my brother with the latest and with him having access to the register
it didn't take long to work out John and Florence were widowers when they married and worked out their
original partner's etc.That now closes the book on the burial places of all Gt and 2xGT grandparents but
as you know this family history thing is never really finished I popped into Gateshead East last week to
check the headstone of Gtx2Grandfather John Kirton still there since 1897 might be time to cast the net over in the County Cork section for a few answers as we now have a lead!

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 January 23 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Good that the headstone in Gateshead is still there. It looks like River Tyne Lass put an entry on find a grave for him but she had no photo to add.
If you took a photo of the grave then its a really good idea to add it to Find A Grave. Recording these old stones is the best way to preserve them before they get too worn and weathered to read.

I now have confirmation from a contact that Robert's burial is in the register for Heworth St Mary.

Robert 'Woodhouse' 18 High House Gardens, Felling, buried August 9th 1937, aged 67 years.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 January 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/228408451/john-kirton

Yes, as I recall I looked this up for you relating to another thread.

I would agree with Boo that it is a good idea to add photos to Find A Grave if you have them for posterity and the benefit of helping other interested researchers.
Sadly, memorials often do get weathered to the point of illegible inscriptions and worn to great gaping holes or even laid face down or even removed eventually in some cases.  So as Boo says, taking a photo is the best way to preserve these against what may happen in future.
As an example, I have added the memorial inscriptions at my hometown parish Church (from a volume) to FAG.  Sadly, the vast majority of these memorials have been removed from the Churchyard. 
If you are on FAG and would like me to transfer this memorial to you just let me know and it will be done.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 January 23 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that RTL and the many occasions you've helped on this family quest,I's a fair chunk
of marble John and Catherine are in the plot their eldest daughter Isabella eventually joined them in
1940,son John is recorded on the stone but is buried a few plots along he his wife and daughter all
died within a few years of each other only their son John survived the day Catherine was buried one
of her Grandchildren was also buried a few plots along!

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 January 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Good that the headstone in Gateshead is still there. It looks like River Tyne Lass put an entry on find a grave for him but she had no photo to add.
If you took a photo of the grave then its a really good idea to add it to Find A Grave. Recording these old stones is the best way to preserve them before they get too worn and weathered to read.

I now have confirmation from a contact that Robert's burial is in the register for Heworth St Mary.

Robert 'Woodhouse' 18 High House Gardens, Felling, buried August 9th 1937, aged 67 years.

Boo
Many thank's Boo I wonder if I could trouble you and your contact to see if my Dad's infant brother
is registered there I've checked Gateshead East to no avail the family were in Dorothy Terrace Felling
in 1926 when he died age 1 sept qtr Dad mentioned he had a lost brother but didn't no when as he
himself would only have been three at the time.Heworth would seem a logical place for burial.
His name was George Smith.Regards Steve.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 January 23 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Steve,
I knew my contact had booked a slot at Tyne and Wear and said she would look for Robert's burial if she had time, luckily she was able to fit it in. Its doubtful she will be returning any time soon.

The local studies at the Word, South Shields have these registers on microfilm. Their opening hours are much more user friendly than TWAS so I'd suggest that as you are reasonably near, next time you are over that way you pop in to have a look.
Looking at their site the opening hours are:
Monday-Thursday 9-7, Friday 9-5, Saturday-Sunday 10-4

this is a list of registers that can be viewed there
https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/2889/Parish-registers

Boo