Author Topic: Help needed dating a photograph of great-grandfather Robert Lay maybe  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed dating a photograph of great-grandfather Robert Lay maybe
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 June 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
 I suggest that you post the back so that we can offer an informed opinion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
Also, no way are  the clothes or hairstyle of 1902 vintage. They are circa 1920, as we've said.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I'm with Jim and Gadget on this one on all counts.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
The second photo of my grandad in uniform is from 1932-33 when he was in the Territorial Army but I only included it originally to compare facially with the other, not to date it. The first photo is of who we are now sure is my great grandfather. It can't be from the 1920s as someone suggesed as he was dead by then We are sure it is from circa 1902-03 and it fits in with him being sent away for 4 years and he looks about 1.

I am uploading the back of the first card to see what you guys think.

Daniel - can you please upload a copy of your Russell's  Studio photo so we can see the text or imprint and compare.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
Jim and Carol are better with PC backs than I am ( and I can't say what the date of this one is) but could I suggest that, even if it's a 1902 back,  it could well have been printed on old stock. It wasn't that unusual, particularly if card was short in the post-WW1 period.

It's definitely not 1902 clothing.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
All postcards after 1902 had a dividing line on the back to allow for a written message, this doesn't have a line so it must date from no later than that.

Here is a divided back postcard without a line  :)

Edit - sorry didn't get red warning of previous two postings  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks I can what you're saying but my card doesn't have any text about correspondence / address on it so I concluded that it was from around the time before the division (with or without the line) was introduced ie 1902. Are you saying that the style of my card was still used later?

NB - it can't date from the 1920s as Robert was dead by then. I grant you the double breasted jacket does look like its from the 1920s but I compared the hair and clothes to other photos and concluded that it could date from circa the early edwardian era, eg see link below - the way the tie is worn and button down shirt are similar, jacket is close in stle and hair very similar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/november_song/4146042328.

I'm uploading the second copy of the photo which isn't a postcard but has an embossed stamp. it has been colouried and shows off the clothes in more detail.

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Is it possible it’s the same person? The Man in the first, earlier photo seems to have a scar on his lower lip which I am convinced I can just see in the uniformed man

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 June 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
I thought it was the same man as well.