Author Topic: Death date of Owen Jones  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death date of Owen Jones
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find the date of death of my great grandfather's brother Owen Jones. He was born in 1855 at Llaniestyn, Anglesey. His parents were Owen and Margaret Jones of Ty Philip, Llaniestyn.
Owen moved to Blaenau Ffestiniog, by the 1881 census, is a boarder, working as a quarryman.
The 1991 census shows he married Mary Elizabeth born 1859 at Hanley, Staffordshire and was living at Dorvil St, with 2 year old John Owen. Owen is a coal merchant.
1901 census the information is the same except there is second child, William Arthur.
In 1908 Mary and her two sons migrate to the USA and my great grandfather Rev John Jones makes a journey back to the UK for a visit from Australia. So I am presuming that Owen has died. He is not buried back in Llaniestyn where his parents and siblings are buried.
His father and Rev John are Weslyean Methodists, but do not know what Owen's religion would have been.
I would like to find the date of death of Owen. Finding his grave would be a bonus, and finding out when he married Mary would be brilliant!
Thanks in advance.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death date of Owen Jones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
I think he married Mary Elizabeth Hughes in Stoke on Trent District in Q2 1887.

From the GRO index, there is a match for both children with a mother's maiden name of Hughes.

David

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
How interesting! I was wondering if she might be a Hughes. So I think then, that Mary is the daughter of John Hughes and Catherine Williams, sister to Elias Hughes. And if, so she is a half-cousin (or whatever you call that, when you both share the same grandmother and different grandfathers) to her husband Owen.
Fascinating!
Thanks so much for that information, dcbnwh. It is wonderful. I will check the papers to see if I can find the wedding notice.
Much appreciated.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
I think he married Mary Elizabeth Hughes in Stoke on Trent District in Q2 1887.

From the GRO index, there is a match for both children with a mother's maiden name of Hughes.

from Staffordshire BMD

1887 Civil Marriage (Stoke)   Stoke-On-Trent
JONES   Owen   
HUGHES   Mary Elizabeth   

As Mary & children migrate to the USA in 1908 perhaps one of these might be the death entry for her husband Owen

Owen Jones age 51 (1856)
1907   Jan-Feb-Mar    Ffestiniog    Merionethshire   volume   11B Page   290

Owen Jones Age 51 (1856)
1905   Oct-Nov-Dec Anglesey  Volume   11B Page   343

There's also this burial 5 September 1907   Llanfaelog, Anglesey, Wales for an
Owen Jones birth c1857
above details from familysearch

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
The Owen Jones who died in Jan-Mar 1907 was buried in Penrhyndeudraeth on 4th March 1907. His abode is given as the Union Workhouse.

David

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk,
I hope you have seen my reply to dcbnwh, in regard to the marriage in Staffordshire with Mary's maiden name being Hughes. Most exciting but I do need to confirm my theory.

The death date of Owen is more likely to be the one of the 1907. By the time the message would have got to Australia and Rev John be able to make arrangements to get to the UK by early mid 1908 would make sense. Owen was the last of John's 8 siblings and his parents. I had wondered why John had returned to the UK at this time, but Owen's death makes sense. Yesterday, I tried going through the Welsh newspapers online for 1907, but didn't find any death notice, but of course as I don't read or speak Welsh, I am missing out on possible notices. Anyway, what you have provided certainly gives me something to work on.
I really appreciate your assistance! And I can't believe how promptly I have received replies. What an amazing service!!!!
Oh I have just seen the new response from dcbnwh and that doesn't sound like my Owen, in the workhouse.
Well, I am sure a date will be found.
Thanks.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census shows a Mary Hughes, born Hanley, daughter of John and Elizabeth and a brother called Elias. The GRO index has a Mary Elizabeth with mother's maiden name of Williams.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWMV-Q8J

She seems to be a servant on the next two censuses.

David

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 21:12 BST (UK) »

As Mary & children migrate to the USA in 1908 perhaps one of these might be the death entry for her husband Owen

Owen Jones Age 51 (1856)
1905   Oct-Nov-Dec Anglesey  Volume   11B Page   343

There's also this burial 5 September 1907   Llanfaelog, Anglesey, Wales for an
Owen Jones birth c1857
above details from familysearch

It may be possible for you to exclude both of these as:

for Owen Jones 1905   Oct-Nov-Dec Anglesey  Volume 11B Page 343 age 49, the death registration has the following additional details - Owen Jones, died 1 Oct 1905 at Llangefni, he was a farm labourer and the informant (who registered his death) was his daughter Annie Jones.

for Owen Jones buried Llanfaelog 5 Sep 1907 age 50, the image of the burial register (Findmypast) shows that he died at The Asylum, Denbigh. (This looks like the FreeBMD entry - J,A,S 1907 Owen Jones, age 50, St. Asaph 11b 204).

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 22:44 BST (UK) »

Yesterday, I tried going through the Welsh newspapers online for 1907, but didn't find any death notice, but of course as I don't read or speak Welsh, I am missing out on possible notices.

I've done a quick search for Ty Philip, but nothing useful. The family connection could well be mentioned - there's a short obit for Catherine Hughes linking her to Ty Philip even though she'd lived in Hanley for 48 years!