Author Topic: Death date of Owen Jones  (Read 5697 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death date of Owen Jones
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 June 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a record in Y Gwyliedydd (weekly Welsh language newspaper of the Wesleyans) 01/05/1901 of a vote of condolence to Mrs Owen Jones, Dorvil St., on the loss of her dear husband.

Free BMD:
Deaths Jun 1901
Jones   Owen.   46   Festiniog      11b   278

Report of his death in Welsh weekly Newspaper Yr Herald Cymraeg 23/04/1901 says he was a native of Llanddona (about 1mile from Llaniestyn), aged 46, a merchant and a deacon wth the Wesleyans.

Grant of Probate:
JONES Owen of 8 Dorfil Street Blaenau Ffestiniog coal merchant died 13 April 1901 Probate LONDON 24 April to Mary Elizabeth Jones widow Effects $210 6s 10d.
Intermittent problem with my computer won't print pound sign !
No info in reports other than above. Will try to find out more.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 June 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a long report in Y Gwyliedydd 01/05/1901 which my original search didn't pick up. He was buried in Bethesda, the local council cemetery in Blaenau Ffestiniog.
I'll send more info when I get time, it wo'nt be for a few days.
Emyr

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 June 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
Dear EmyrBorth
Oh wow! That has to be my Owen, with all that detail. Yes, Llanddona would have been named rather than Llaniestyn, as it is the nearest village and the family attended chapel there.

I just had Gwynedd Archives say they couldn't find anything, but they were probably looking for dates closer to when the remaining family left for America which was 1907. They said that a large period of Weslyan records had been lost.

I am coming over to the UK in September to visit my daughter in London and was going to squeeze a few days in Wales. So now I have a cemetery to look over and see if I can find the grave.

I can't thank you enough for finding all this information. I would have never found it without your help. This means so much to me. I will look forward to the rest of your report, when you have time.
And thanks to Roots Chat for existing!
Best wishes,
Libby

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the date of death of my great grandfather's brother Owen Jones.

He was born in 1855 at Llaniestyn, Anglesey, His parents were Owen and Margaret Jones of Ty Philip, Llaniestyn.

Owen moved to Blaenau Ffestiniog, by the 1881 census, is a boarder, working as a quarryman.
The 1891 census shows he married Mary Elizabeth born 1859 at Hanley, Staffordshire and was living at Dorvil St, with 2 year old John Owen. Owen is a coal merchant.

1901 census the information is the same except there is second child, William Arthur.

In 1908 Mary and her two sons migrate to the USA and my great grandfather Rev John Jones makes a journey back to the UK for a visit from Australia. So I am presuming that Owen has died

There is a record in Y Gwyliedydd (weekly Welsh language newspaper of the Wesleyans) 01/05/1901 of a vote of condolence to Mrs Owen Jones, Dorvil St., on the loss of her dear husband.

There is a long report in Y Gwyliedydd 01/05/1901 which my original search didn't pick up.
He was buried in Bethesda, the local council cemetery in Blaenau Ffestiniog

Report of his death in Welsh weekly Newspaper Yr Herald Cymraeg 23/04/1901 says he was a native of Llanddona (about 1mile from Llaniestyn), aged 46, a merchant and a deacon wth the Wesleyans.

Grant of Probate:
JONES Owen of 8 Dorfil Street Blaenau Ffestiniog coal merchant died 13 April 1901
Probate LONDON 24 April to Mary Elizabeth Jones widow Effects 210 6s 10d.

Intermittent problem with my computer won't print pound sign !
No info in reports other than above. Will try to find out more.
Emyr

Pleased for you Libby, Well found Emyr  :)

Here’s the link to the probate entry that Emyr has found – folio number is 466
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=jones&yearOfDeath=1901&page=27#calendar

and the links to the two Welsh newspapers articles

ANGLADD….......
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3457863/3457871/94/
Mr Owen Jones Dorvil Street

BLAENAU FFESTINIOG........
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3190111/3190113/7/

Below is a link to Gwynedd council they are responsible for the cemeteries including
Meirionnydd Area :- Bethesda Cemetery, Blaenau Ffestiniog

https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Residents/Births-marriages-deaths/Deaths-cemeteries-crematorium/Crematorium-and-cemeteries.aspx

As you have his date of death, perhaps sending them and email they might be able to offer you some help with further details of where he’s buried for when you visit in September

Good Luck - please come back and let us know how you get on  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have contacts in Blaenau and will be visiting Dolgellau Archives soon. Will find position of the grave and the monument inscription if there is a gravestone.
Didn't show link to articles in newspaper as I assumed Aussiewelsh was not a Welsh speaker/reader. There is an obituary notice in an English newspaper, The Cambrian News, but not much info. I would expect to find more in that paper; will try different search words.
Emyr

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 June 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have contacts in Blaenau and will be visiting Dolgellau Archives soon.

Will find position of the grave and the monument inscription if there is a gravestone.

Didn't show link to articles in newspaper as I assumed Aussiewelsh was not a Welsh speaker/reader.

There is an obituary notice in an English newspaper, The Cambrian News, but not much info. I would expect to find more in that paper; will try different search words.
Emyr

Hello Emyr

I only added the links just in case Libby wanted to keep the original articles for her records. I'm sure she'd appreciate a translation if you or anyone else has the time to do so, unfortunately I cannot assist with this......

Well done for finding the info. for her and your continued help  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
The report is not so long as I thought as it goes on to mention the deaths of 2 other members of the Chapel who died about the same time. Lot of it is the standard stuff for that time, going overboard extolling the virtues of the deceased, so will only translate the relevent facts.
Y GWYLIEDYDD 01/05/1901  Death and burial of Mr Owen Jones, 8, Dorfil Street . - Saturday afternoon, 13th ult this good and dear man died. He suffered considerably during his period of illness of over a month   He was a native of Llanddona, Anglesey. He came to Ffestiniog 25yrs ago, aged 21. He worked in the quarry for most of this period. A little over 10 years ago he had to give up this work because of ill health, and became a coal and flour merchant   …................
He served as a deacon at Ebenezer for over 15 yrs   …....
Our friend had a reverent burial, Wednesday afternoon, in Bethesda Cemetery. A service was held in Jerusalem Chapel. …........... Goes on to list the ministers who took part in the service at the chapel and the cemetery   ….......
…. the nature of his illness was such that he was unable to talk much in that period  ….... Undoubtedly the departure of Mr O Jones was one of the greatest losses to the church at Ebenezer to occur for many a year.
…. leaves a widow and 2 boys.

Emyr

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi to Emyr and Ladyhawk,
Thanks for the links to the newspaper. Yes I do appreciate seeing the original article. And no, I do not read or speak Welsh, sadly.
Dare I ask, is it possible to have a brief appraisal of what the obituary says? Just the gist, or important events, qualities of the man; are Mary Elizabeth and the children mentioned? I know this is a lot to ask! And you both and others have already provided so much information and help.
I will be interested to see what you find about the grave Emyr.
Once again, I am so thrilled that you have been able to provide so much help. I don't suppose any family has visited the grave for more than a century!
Warm regards,
Libby
Just as I was posting this, you added the translation! Thank you. Poor man, I guess it must have been a lung disease that he was suffering from?
As did many others I suppose.
Thank you Emyr!!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 June 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Owen Jones of Dorfil Street makes quite a few appearances in the local press in his capacity as deacon in Ebenezer - leading/participating in meetings, debating societies, eisteddfodau and so forth