Author Topic: Restore & Clean up please my aunt Joan Chapman  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Grandalise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Restore & Clean up please my aunt Joan Chapman
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol
Chapman
Cook
Underdown

Offline gisela

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 April 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
A restore from me. Lovely photo.

:)

Offline Grandalise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 April 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
amazing how you all manage to do this Thank You
Chapman
Cook
Underdown

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 April 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
My effort,  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Grandalise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 April 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Yvonne xx
Chapman
Cook
Underdown

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Two from me  :)

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Grandalise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 April 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank You Terry
Chapman
Cook
Underdown

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Grandalise,

Your question suggests that you just might be interested in learning more about 'restoration'. If I'm wrong, just ignore this response  ;).

As the thread in Peter's link suggests, different restorers use different programs. The programs  are basically just tools.  As an analogy, a carpenter can create something using hammers and chisels from Brand X or Brand Y. He may have preference but both will do.

So the quality of the restores don't depend on the tools but on the restorers' experience and skills in using the tools.

An Aside on Tools
Any program that allows you to work with 'layers', 'filters', patching and cloning is OK. This covers a wide range of programs like GIMP (free) to 'one-off purchase' programs like Affinity ($50) and Photoshop Elements ($100) to  'licensed' programs like Photoshop CC ($10 per month). Photoshop CC is the 'photography industry standard' but is IMHO an overkill if all you want to do is restore old photos. For restoring individual photos, GIMP (free, but for me a bit clunky), Affinity ($50, but for me much more user-friendly than GIMP) or Photoshop Elements ($100) are more than adequate.

Back to Experience and Skills
I'm only a relative beginner and even after a year of learning (with a lot of help from other restorers here!) and practising, I'm still learning. I have enjoyed learning to restore old photos and I still do. I still sometimes PM individual restorers to ask "How did you do that or get that effect?" and without exception other restorers have been extremely helpful in providing guidance and tips that have helped me to learn more. My experience has been that RootsChat restorers are an informal 'community' that support each other, learn from each other and welcome new members (at whatever level of experience (or lack of!)).

My steepest 'learning curve' was during the first 2-3 months. I had previously already used Photoshop CC but as a 'blunt instrument' on modern photos. During the first 2-3 months - with help and support from other restorers here -  I learned the basic techniques of 'photo restoration' and how to do apply these in Photoshop CC with some degree of precision. Since then, I've learned by example from other restorers who have more experience and whose vision/skills are more developed than mine.

Summary
If you have any curiosity or interest in leaning to restore old photos then I encourage you to give it a try! Maybe it's not for you but if it is, you quickly become hooked ;)

Mike

your all amazing it must have taken ages to do this, have any of you got a preference as to what program to use ?
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline eglejok

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Joan Chapman