Author Topic: DNA security  (Read 1120 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA security
« on: Friday 27 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Report out of California indicating that a murder/rape cold case was solved by the police using results from genealogy sites. No particular site identified but numerous sites stating that they did not assist police. Food for thought.

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA security
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Well in my view I've got nothing to hide so I don't care who shares my DNA. You can get it off the beer glass that I leave in the pub each evening.
Martin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
There is also a thread on this here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792444.0

If I recall correctly the use of Genealogy sites by the security agencies was behind Ancestry's decision to stop doing the none autosomal DNA tests they use to do , and to tighten up on their security. There was a thread or two about it on here at the time.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
A few years down the line and everyone who had their DNA test for family history purposes may live to regret they did as just like many other so call secure sites. It will be out there for all to see, including your health insurance.

Mary ::)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
It was GEDmatch which is a public site, the perpetrator's DNA was added to the site to find close relatives. The company was unaware of what had been done.

I am on GEDmatch and I have no problem with what was done to capture this evil man.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
A few years down the line and everyone who had their DNA test for family history purposes may live to regret they did as just like many other so call secure sites. It will be out there for all to see, including your health insurance.

Mary ::)

I agree 100%.

It is not that many years ago when AIDS/HIV became a thing. Suddenly car insurance renewal forms had the added question "Have you ever been tested for AIDS/HIV?" Healthcare professionals (and amateurs), if they answered truthfully suddenly found their premiums had risen, X2, X5, X10, or had a flat refusal. An insurance company is legally allowed to set whatever criteria they want. And they wanted the money, so they found a loophole and exploited it.

When the possibility of a "gay gene" was mooted in the press, BA and Lufthansa wanted passengers to sign a declaration as to their sexuality - "on safety grounds". What, just in case fellow passengers caught homosexuality at 20,000 ft mid Atlantic?

There is just as much hate in the world today as there has ever been. I, for one, do not wish to give anybody cause to either exploit me, or discriminate against me. My DNA is mine alone and I will never be willingly tested. If that means that I do not find relatives then so be it - let them remain unfound.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
What will it matter -  when I am dead
That my DNA was public - shared...
what does it matter apart from the fact
that it proved my rellies down the track..

What does it matter, when I shed my Coil
that someone used my DNA spoils..

I wont care at all.. and if all is known,
the reason for testing wont ever be shown

Cos I'll keep the tale in my head not on paper
and then it will vanish.. like me -- be just Vapour.

he he he

xin

almost poetic....  :) :)

xin