Author Topic: Ancestry.....what are they up to now  (Read 6367 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.....what are they up to now
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 April 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
I keep having to change it back to UK from All Collections, it does seem to have a penchant for US records for some reason. 
UK please am not American.

Me too   I am being driven up the wall with the site lately .. it costs a fortune to access all areas, as I feel I NEED to do.. and then   just American results coming up .. not a happy lady.

xin

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
I find the phone line very helpful + asked specifically how they can help people with visual di.they are going to send me large print paper instructiions for some functiones so i wont have to look at screen too much (eyes get strained with bad light visiom ok )

mentionned the probs people were having ..she said some hiccups while site updating I suggested they put that at top of page instead of advert for free fortnight whichj you cant have if you.ve used one in past

dont know if my suggestion will be taken on board

BUT ..found out that it is possible to reactivat +inherit the tree who has passed away if executor of will makes the request

\good news for all those who complain messages dont get answeted
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 April 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
I can't find some data sets on the card catalogue. When I use the card catalogue I can only see the first page, after that I get the message there are no more entries. I have to google search for the data sets.
I can do the same search twice, and get different results. If I try and narrow the search parameters, I don't get the results I am looking for, yet with a more general search I find the same results.
I can find a tree on Public Trees, yet if I go back another time, I can't find it.
Definitely something wrong with their search algorithms.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
To add to Ancestry's woes, all of a sudden today I notice I am on the US site. I haven't opened a new tab or anything, just started a new search. Very odd.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
To add to Ancestry's woes, all of a sudden today I notice I am on the US site. I haven't opened a new tab or anything, just started a new search. Very odd.

Same for me, pinefamily.   Hadn't noticed until you said.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Posted on facebook by another frustrated user.

I am writing this on behalf of the 6700 members of our Facebook group for Ancestry researchers predominantly in the UK.
We are all now totally fed up with the issues of the Ancestry company. Perhaps if we all vote with our wallets you will then sort out your problems. You may think that 6700 is not enough of your customers to worry about, but please bear in mind I am also on an Admin group and as a collective we have over 150,000 members perhaps that my dent your profits slightly more. I am sure Find my Past will love the increased revenue!
DO YOU ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THE ISSUES ARE?
Clearing cache and cookies does not work on iPad, Mac, Desktop etc.,
Continuous 'sorry this is unavailable' try reloading
Random hints and totally unrelated records appearing
Trees not displaying properly.
Trees disappearing
..amongst other issues this has been happening for months.
PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!
It would be conducive for you as a business to use the banners available (Instead of continually reminding everyone about DNA, or updated privacy, or cookies enabled) to actually apologise to all your subscribers for the prolonged errors and downtime.
I for one, after ten years plus, have cancelled my subscription, and I am sure that your subscription numbers will decrease as the time rolls on... Many people in forums have all stated the same thing, they will not be renewing.
My personal opinion is that Ancestry seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket by continually 'ramming and spamming' subscribers with DNA and not concentrating on their valued, loyal and mass of research subscribers!
I am certain of a generic response, so unless you can offer any solution, remedy or otherwise, please be under no obligation to respond!
Yours sincerely
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
...Oh, and "it" keeps deselecting "Family Trees", and instead offers Photos when I search!
Unfortunately, I've just renewed.... drat!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Gosh, glad it's not just me....

Unbearably slow and wanting to reload and searches very difficult.

Argh.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
It is becoming a case of people panicking.. on FB 

I am concerned enough  to have Synced up todate as of this moment.. And  downloaded the main Geds

I feel a bit safer that way. 

Now to put them on a seperate hard drive.. and I will sleep.

xin