Author Topic: Ancestry.....what are they up to now  (Read 6362 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancestry.....what are they up to now
« on: Friday 27 April 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Just now started looking for a birth record.....fine the English ones came up.Then using same name I looked for a marriage.....no English records....all American.Is there something wrong with the site
I give up
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.....what are they up to now
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
The site has been having major issues since Easter!  An awful lot of people are complaining on facebook and elsewhere.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have not yet had American results when looking for English ones but I have experienced search results being incorrect, keep getting "relevance" instead of "categories" even when I have selected Categories. The site is also a bit sluggish.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
keep getting "relevance" instead of "categories"

I don't have an option to select 'relevance' - just Records or Categories, and the Records are usually anything but relevant  :-X
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
keep getting "relevance" instead of "categories"

I don't have an option to select 'relevance' - just Records or Categories, and the Records are usually anything but relevant  :-X

Sorry that is what I meant. I get Records instead of categories. Yes the records are the total opposite of relevant.

It is like when I try and google Irish migration to the UK before the famine of the 1840s, all the results seem to hark back to that famine.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
I was on there earlier and it was hiccuping, not downloading what I'd try to download, taking a long time to find things and repeated unable to find and try later  ::) I gave up
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
The site has been having major issues since Easter!  An awful lot of people are complaining on facebook and elsewhere.

Aha !   thanks for posting that nugget.  I've forgotten my password and haven't been able to reset it due to Ancestry sending me the incorrect email and I couldn't find an appropriate page on their website to solve the problem.

ADDENDUM: have just tried again and received appropriate email - am now able to access my account after a gap of three days.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
I have also had poor results in searches, often 'no results' being returned until I have backed all the criteria off by up to three steps. if I then narrow the criteria the results are curtailed and in some cases I can narrow them down to my original settings and the results I was looking for are usually there.

However in some cases I have taken to going direct to the categories and locating the one I want and then browsing that, but I'm not sure that all the categories are appearing, I seem to find more if I do a second search of the catelogue. The 'Return to search results' button hasn't worked for me for weeks, I have to use the browser 'back button' or Alt + ←.
It's crazy and frustrating.
My cut-rate subscription expires towards the end of May and I'll be charged the full rate if I continue.
Extremely unlikely at the moment!!
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
I keep having to change it back to UK from All Collections, it does seem to have a penchant for US records for some reason. 
UK please am not American. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos